icon

Amp power wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
u have a DVC sub woofer which means it has 2 voice coils and depending on the rms of ur sub 1/2 that and thats how many watts each coil will take there are actually 3 ways of wireing these as ive heard u can run them parrallel/series or if u got some money or something u could buy 2 amps and run each to each coil one of my friends does the last one and his s**t is hard so and u can either goto the jl audio site or the audio bahn site to see how each of the other 2 setups would make ur subs react and it all depends on what kinda they are if they are 2 or 4 ohm DVC this is just from wut ive learned in the past 2mnths so ne1 else care to expand or correct me go for it
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

flatulatta wrote:
u have a DVC sub woofer which means it has 2 voice coils and depending on the rms of ur sub 1/2 that and thats how many watts each coil will take there are actually 3 ways of wireing these as ive heard u can run them parrallel/series or if u got some money or something u could buy 2 amps and run each to each coil one of my friends does the last one and his s**t is hard so and u can either goto the jl audio site or the audio bahn site to see how each of the other 2 setups would make ur subs react and it all depends on what kinda they are if they are 2 or 4 ohm DVC this is just from wut ive learned in the past 2mnths so ne1 else care to expand or correct me go for it

that third setup you recomended is discouraged by all companies i believe it sends a seperate signal to the coils and if somethings disrupts one of the signals the voice coils are out of sync and basically destroy each other

Quad L Handyman services
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

yea but im assuming the way u could do it if it will work is to hook 1 rca up to each ie red 2 1 amp and white 2 the other ill ask my friend how he does it tom cuz he hooks all of his stuff like that his bro did it for him and he installs stuff all the time

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  

http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/diffsignals.html

there is jl's dislike for the set up

Quad L Handyman services
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Skahid 1st off on the extension cord that is a fire waiting to happen, I hope your buddy has good insurance. I would suggest that you get a 4 gauge amp kit from knukonceptz http://www.knukonceptz.com/detail.asp?product_id=KOLAK4 you won’t find a better quality kit, and the price is reasonable. As far as the DVC goes the main advantage to a DVC (dual voice coil) over a SVC (single voice coil) is the DVC gives you more wiring flexibility. JL has a good tutorial on DVC that you should read http://jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/index.html . If you tell me the make and model of both your subs and your amp, I will tell you how to wire the subs to the amp for optimal performance. Also flatulatta it is incorrect to wire the amps and sub that way. By doing that you will damage your sub. 
flatulatta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
well ma friends done it to his i wouldnt to mine but ive heard of it b4 and he said thats the only way he wires his and they are loud
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  

scorche 4 gauge kit from walmart. cheap and its pretty good.

I got the dual amp set up, so its 4 guage to 8 guage. but for like 30$ you get everythin you need.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
skahide 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

Ok here is the set up:

Legacy Red Series 2   ,   1200Wx2,    Model# LA2070

And 2  Volfenhag 15" DVC Subs,  1200W Max, 4 ohm + 4ohm,  Model #ZX-4715DVX

Im putting it in a 2001 Ford Escape, Im going to build the box tomorrow and needed some advice. I'll read the above info tonight about DVC and hopefully ill understand it more.  Thanx Guys

ituneyou 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2003 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

Assuming the Legacy amp  can be bridged, and 2400 watts seems a little much, maybe if struck by lightning. The subs are dual 4 ohm, why not series parallel them and bridge the amp that way the amp will see a 4 ohm load and should not shut down.

Let me know if you need help on wiring the subs.

goodluck  steve

A man has got to know his limitations
ituneyou 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2003 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
And  if you're bridging the amp make sure the box is a single chamber.
A man has got to know his limitations
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic