icon

VSS location for 2001 4Runner

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jhanses 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2003 at 6:45 AM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a Pioneer AVIC-90DVD in my 4Runner and can't find the vehicle speed sensing unit. Can anyone help me with this? Also, why is it so hard to find a service manual on this vehicle?
Thanks,
John
4Runnin' MF
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2003 at 10:41 PM / IP Logged  
Toyota speed sense is usually PURPLE / white...... and there's a cruise control module a little to the left of the steering column...... cruise must have a VSS wire in there, I would think.
jhanses 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks! I'm a newby - thought I'd get an email for reply. I ended up finding the VSS behind the glove box.
4Runnin' MF
funglenn 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2003 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  

Does anybody know what color the VSS wire is behind the glove box? Is it PURPLE / white or is it  GREEN/ ORANGE.

Also what about the backup wire, my navigation system also wants to know when I am backing up.. Anybody know which wire to use and where and what color it is?

I am soo close yet soo far..

Thanks

jhanses 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
I'm sorry I don't remember what the color was for the VSS but it was simple enough with a tester: Set it on AC volt (I was surprised at the AC advice but it works) then stick you tester into each line in the connecter, and test them one at a time by putting it in drive and/or reverse and just rolling a little bit. It will be obvious when you get the right one.
For the back up wire you just interupt the leads running to the rear of the vehicle and test for the one that controls your back up lights.
Hope that helps!
4Runnin' MF
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 04, 2003 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
funglenn,
If I'm looking for a wire, and I don't know the correct color, my first approach is to go directly to the component in question, even if that's where I don't plan to make my connection.
1. Gain access to the back of the taillamp, and obvserve the colors of the two wires going to the backup lightbulb. One of those is a ground; the other is the one you're looking for.
2. Go to a more convenient location in the car, such as the driver's kick panel, where you know there are a bunch of wires running toward the rear of the car.
3. Open up that wire bundle and locate all of the wires in there that are the correct color.
4. Test each of those wires until you get the right one.
Hint: Ground wires in Toyotas are usually brown, or BLACK/ white. So it's the other color at the reverse light bulb that you're after.
my12volts 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2003 at 7:48 AM / IP Logged  
to test if you have the speed sence wire ....just hook one side of ur meter to ground and the other to your wire ...then drive a few feet and your meter will change ...when you stop ur meter will too....

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic