icon

question on 6cf box for 15 L5

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pervitizm 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2003 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Right now I have the 4.5 vented box with both the sub and vent facing towards the back of my truck. This time I want to go with the bigger box but this time instead of facing the subs and port towards the back, I want to face them towards the ceiling. My question is this with the current spec offered by kicker, with the vent measurment being 3 1/2 by 13 3/4 can't I just place the port on the same side as the sub without it effecting the tunning of the box?
Also what is the best frequency my sub amp should be at with this sub in this box, right now for the 4.5 box I have my sub amp crossover at 80hz and my subsonic filter is at 25hz?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

First of all, you are robbing yourself of the lowest bass frequencies.  Set your subsonic filter to a much lower value, like 10 Hz.  The Solobaric 15" L5 will respond down to at least 18 Hz.

Second, Kicker's own technical information says the 15" in a 6.0 cu ft vented anclosure has it's peak output at about 95 Hz, so by crossing over at 80 you are robbing yourself of peak SPL.

Third, there is no reason why you cannot design an enclosure with the vent on the front baffle.  Just make sure you do it correctly.  The technical manual for your speaker shows a sample of this sort of enclosure.  If you don't have the tech manual, it is available on the kicker web site.

Cheers!

pervitizm 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 01, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
My ssf go only down to to 25Hz so I can't get it to go down to 10Hz like you said. I'll change my crossover setting and my HU eq settings too to match up to 95Hz like you said and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help
Pervy
live & die 4 tha luv of BASS!!!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

Ah, then that really is not a "sub" sonic filter, eh?  I know many companies call them that when they are actually high-pass filters in the "sonic" range!  A true sub-sonic filter is below 20 Hz.  Mine is set at 5 Hz just to keep any stray DC out of the system.

Try by-passing the subsonic altogether and see if your deep bass improves.  The only real advantages you will get with an L5 moving to a larger enclosure are higher SPL at a slightly lower volume (response peak moves from about 95 Hz down to about 88 Hz) and a potential for deeper rumble in the 17 to 22 Hz range.  So your sub sonic filter is removing all of the gains you might feel (you really can't hear them) in the very low frequencies.

The best advice I can really give you in building a large enclosure is bracing, bracing and more bracing.  You want that box to be VERY rigid.  I have a 16 cu ft enclosure for two 18" North Creek Leviathan subs in my home theater, and it is lined with concrete just to keep the thing rigid... RTA says 92 db at 10 Hz, and this with only 250 watts!  It shakes the foundations of the neighbor's house!  I've always wanted to try one of those babies in a car, just for grins...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic