icon

Under power! need advise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
From what i can remember from his previous posts it is the 2ohm dvc model. SWR-1521D. Pretty sure.
skyRyder 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

that's right nedgeworth.... it 2ohms DVC

wvsquirrel, what is the advantage of the parallel hookup (connection) http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/dvc/dvcAdvantage.html  .... if i have 2ohm DVC and my amp is 2ohms x 200RMS (2ch), or bridge 400RMS x 1 @ 4ohms ... so when i hookup the DVC up in parallel is it 4ohms? or 2ohms load?

nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 02, 2003 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
If you hook your sub up in parallel you will end up with a 1ohm load. Which your amp can't deal with so you have to wire it in series for a 4ohm load so your amp can cope.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 03, 2003 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  
The advantages of Parallel wiring is that is halves the ohm load of the sub. (1) 2ohm DVC wired in parallel will produce a 1ohm total load.
The general rule of thumb is: Less Ohms = Less Resistance = More Power
Most amps are able to produce more power at a lower ohm load due to decreased resistance. As is the case with your existing amp as well. But since you have a multi-channel amp, then you have to look at it on several different levels.
Level 1 - 2 Channels (Stereo)
Your amp will produce more power per channel at 2ohms per channel then at 4ohms per channel. Your amp's minimum stable Stereo ohm load is 2ohms per channel.
Level 2 - 1 Channel (Mono)
You have an amp that is capible of Bridging, which effectively combines the output of 2 channels into 1 channel (hence the term Mono, or one). When you bridge an amp it is essentialy like wiring 2 SVC subs or 1 DVC sub in series (even though you only use the + from one channel and the - from the other channel). What I'm getting at is you essentially double the minimum Stereo ohm load per channel to get the minimum Mono ohm load (and yes, there are exceptions but your amp is not one of them). A 2ohm Stereo stable amp is usually only 4ohm Mono stable (the ohm load gets doubled for the bridge). I'm sure there is someone out there that can explain the math behind it better then I can, but that is the basic logic behind it. A 1ohm Stereo stable amp is usually 2ohm Mono stable, a 2ohm Stereo amp is usually 4ohm Mono stable, a 4ohm Stereo amp is usually 8ohm Mono stable, etc...
That's why I said earlier (as did Nedgeworth), you need to wire your 2ohm DVC in Series for a 4ohm bridge. Your amp is not stable at a Mono/Bridged ohm load lower then that. You run a major risk of frying the amp and/or sub if you were to try a 1ohm bridge (ie. if you wired in Parallel). You also run a major risk of frying that sub if you were to wire each voice coil to a seperate channel on the amp. You're gonna get the same wattage output running the 4ohm Mono bridge as you would wiring each voice coil independantly at 2ohms. In fact, you may actually get a little more. So save yourself the trouble and agrivation and do it right the first time, before you have to spend more money on replacement equipment! Save that money for New Upgraded equipment instead Under power! need advise - Page 2 -- posted image.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  

hmm thank guys...

any suggestions on good amp that will give 500w @ 2ohms x 2 or.... bridge 4ohm x 500w.....

i need a good deep bass sound... brand and model number plz

thank

wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, you want to look for either:
500 x 1 @ 1ohm
500 x 1 @ 4ohms
500 x 1 @ 4ohms Mono/Bridged
I'll get back to you on some suggestions...
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
skyRyder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  

thank mate.

i actually see this MRV 1505 (second hand) for sale $550 AUD.... pretty good price..however i really like the 1507...

again i still want someone to suggest me some good gear and know wat is good!!

thank

wvsquirrel 
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 1:45 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, here's some suggestions for an amp to run (1) Alpine SWR-1521D (2ohm DVC 500RMS 1500Peak)
JBL BP600.1
600 x 1 @ 1ohm
It's a reliable amp, although they may be a little difficult to find. Unfortunately you would really have no room for expansion later on down the line if you decided to add another sub(s). But it would more than suite you purpose right now.
Audiobahn A18001DT (Class D Mono amp)
600 x 1 @ 4ohms
1200 x 1 @ 2ohms
1800 x 1 @ 1ohm
You would have more than enough power right now, plus you would have an amp that you could add subs to later on and still have plenty of power to play with. Audiobahn makes excellent amps, and this one would deffinately be worth looking into.
Audiobahn A1500HCT (High Current Mono amp)
500 x 1 @ 4ohms
1000 x 1 @ 2ohms
2000 x 1 @ 1ohm
Again, you would have enough power for right now, plus you would have an amp that you could add subs to later on and still have plenty of power to play with. I'm not a big fan of High Current amplifiers for subs, but this one would still work
Out of those 3 amps, the JBL would be the cheapest priced (around $200 U.S.). The others you can figure on close to around $1,000 U.S.
There are still many more amps out there, so don't just take my advice! Look for an amp with the minimum specs that I gave in the post above and you will be bump'n in no time
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
I'm having problems finding specs on the MRV-1505 and MRV-1507. I believe they are part of the V12 series, but I'm not sure.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
wvsquirrel 
Posted: September 04, 2003 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  
Here's the diagram I was telling you about. Sorry it took so long (I use Rockford Fosgate's Wiring Wizard for the basic portions, then manipulate the rest manually)
Under power! need advise - Page 2 -- posted image.
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic