icon

best fabric

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mklotz70 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2003 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
I just checked SP's site and they have two mold fabrics. Which one are you using? The lighter 7oz stuff looks just like the polyester fleece I got from Joann's Fabrics. The heavier(14oz) looks like what JF's for quilting(also called fleece) but didn't seem to stretch well at all. If you're using the heavier stuff, do you also use it for kick panels? I've got the bigger trunk parts laid up, but now I'm getting ready to do a couple of kickpanels and I was planning on using either T-shirt or grill cloth to help avoid any warping.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2003 at 7:30 PM / IP Logged  
i just got the fleece and it seems thin enough but thick enough for a good start on strength. neways it stretches REALLY well in one direction but not to well in the other. Is this ok if i pull it as tight as possible or will it warp? also whats a good way to secure the fabric to the mold?
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
exxxotic audio 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2003 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
      try to use grill cloth for the first layer then use the cloth or matting to get your thickness  along with bondo to smooth
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
I didnt mean the fabric i got is good for support i just ment its gonna be strong enough to take fiberglass, but what is grill cloth?
exxxotic audio 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
      grill cloth as in your home speakers have over the front . it is very stretchable like womens pantyhose and about as thick, so with this you will have to reinforce the mold with other layers of  fiberglass matt. or what ever you prefer.
allchromed01r1 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

exxotic audio,

are you saying that if you use grill cloth as your first step and then a polyester fleece for the second layer that it will be strong enough without any matt????

Cbmc 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

I would advise never buying anything from Select Products unless you don't mind being totally ripped off.  They charge obscene amounts for products that you can buy locally for 10 to 15 times less.  I hate that place.  Personally, I would never buy from a place that would charge you $24(yes, really, not a typo) for their catalog.  Sure some of there stuff might work better in certain applications(debatable), but to support a place that has such ridiculas pricing is against my beliefs(then again you are talking to someone who will not buy any product from sporting or concert events).  Just my two cents.

pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
i agree i wouldnt buy nething from them either
exxxotic audio 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
      no you are prob. still going to have to make it stronger but for wild forms the grill cloth is alot easier to work with although it is very thin and will need more layers added after. it is just easier to form with.
cmaroman95 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
ok guys i have never used the fleece idea. are you saying to use 100%   polyester fleece. and another idea that i have found that woks great is 100% cotton flannel, it is durable to strecthing and is thin. i use this for my molded dashes.
"get in where you fit in"
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic