icon

advice on sub direction

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Hey everybody. With the advice of fellow 12volter's, I have ordered my fiberglass from www.shopmaninc.com, and I am supposed to recieve it on Tuesday, the 9th. I would like to start as soon as I can, so I am looking for input on the direction the subs should face.
What I am looking for is deep and loud bass. Once again, I am using 2 12" Punch HX2's in a 2000 Nissan Altima. The limitation to my install is that the subs have to be placed in the taillight corners, so I utilize trunk space and still retain the seat pass through.
My original plan was to direct the left sub towards the right headlight, and the right sub to the left headlight, very similar to gtpsrock's hot install, http://www.kurtisroberts.net/paul/paul/cars/GTP/stereo/stereo.html
But after reading this tech page, http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html , I was beginning to consider making each sub face the corner in which it is in, (I can't face it directly back as it would interfere with the trunk opening).
I know I can't face them towards each other (i.e. left sub face right) since they most likely would cancel each other, but what if they were facing each other AND angled up?
Please offer any advice or opinions you have, I would really like to get started on my project. Thanks in advance.
bryceyaworsky 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2003 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

I just made two glass enclosures for my taillights (one for a 12" compVR and one for a 12" solo L5), and what I did was point the compVR directly towards the L5, and point the L5 toward the backseat (about 30 degrees) slightly facing upwards at the trunk lid.  The result was the compVR sounded perfect, but the L5 was pretty weak.  All I had to do was get some brown bread and cover the trunk lid to keep the sound in, and after that they both sound pretty damn good.

aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
anybody else, please?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  

It varies from setup to setup and car to car. My best advice would be to build test enclosures and see what sounds best to you in your car.

aggie altima 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
I see some installations with the subs facing forward, right behind the fold down seats. I assume that this is for sound quality, not high spl. Can anybody please explain why you would face your subs directly into the cabin? From what the installs look like, the trunk and the cabin are isolated from each other. Thanks in advance.
gtpsrock 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2003 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks for your compliment in your first post.
Here is annother setup with the subs in the back corner like mine. (his is way sweeter though) Try this link out:
http://soundoff.phoenixgold.com/viewtopic.php?t=1428
Anyway, I'd be interested to see what you come up with.
Take care,
Paul
My Stereo Setup

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic