icon

tricky noise question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
Ok this problem has been bugging me for about a month and i cant figure out what the hell is wrong. The problem is when my HU spins up the cd i can hear the motor whine and the laser movement coming out of my subs. So far i have rewired power and ground to the HU, checked ground on the HU and amps, then referenced it to batt voltage. Tried replacing the amps, and running new rca's. nothing has worked HELP!!!!!!!!!!!1
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

I'd try another head unit. BTW, which one are you using now?

tricky noise question -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
I find it has to do with how high your gains are set. I've just redone my gain setting in my car and i've got the same probably where as before it was noise free.... well maybe just quite enough to not be noticable.
ricetech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
ok my HU is a kenwood kdc-mp-919. the gain on the amps is about 1\4. i have tried messing with the gain on the amps. the noise remains. even when i turn the NF to -15
and the volume to 1 the noise is still at the same volume.
ricetech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
Oh i forgot to mention that the noise occours on the NF front and rear preouts.
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Well next thing to do is to check all connections on the amp and make sure you've grounded it to the chassis and the point has been sanded back. If that doesn't work try another location to ground too. Do you have a multi-amp system?
c.c. 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
i believe that this is caused by a ground loop.  is the ground of the head unit next to your car fuse block, or a major power wire.  is so, try to make the ground as short as possible, but not close to fuses, or major power wires.  i believe the pre-out voltage is 1.87v, so i would set the gain on the amp around that level.  if you have two amps (or more), try using a ground block (like a distribution block, but for the ground, as it has no fuses.)  if all else fails, the HU might be to blame, and i might get it checked out.
toyota echo...perfect sound named vehicle
ricetech 
Copper spacespace
yes i have two kenwood 600 watt amps each running one alpine type r. the ground reads 0 voltage drop from batt voltage. could it be a bad pre amp in the HU? and is there an inline filter i can use on the rca's until i can get a new HU?
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
hey sometimes no matter how hard you try...it is almost impossible to eliminate ground noise...there are SOOOO many reasons that you could have it.  go to your local sound shop and ask for a gound loop isolator.  it should cost about 20 bucks.   it has famale rca's on one end of the box and male on the other.  plug the rcas coming from the amp in one end and the other end plugs into the head unit.   that should work.
c.c. 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
try putting the volt meter on the vdc setting, putting the red lead on the amp negaitve post, and the black lead on the batt post neg. when the system is on.  you should get a voltage drop.  like .1v or something.  but it should not read zero. to get a fairly steady reading, turn the volume all the way down.  also i think that these model HU's allow you to turn off the internal amp in the HU.  do that if you can.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic