icon

Is this a good amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
Hey im looking at running a 12'' Eclipse titanium and was wondering if this is a good amp MTX Thunder801D? If anyone knows anything about the MTX amplifiers or anything please let me know and would this 800 watts strain my stock alternator? It would also have a cap.
thanks
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2003 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
what is the output of your alternator? the amp should pull approx. 47 amps rms. i would definatly reccomend a cap. as far as the amp goes the only experiance ive had with mtx is when one cought on fire in my buddys trunk.
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
I've heard very good things about MTX and I've heard bad things.  If you have the amp already, hook it up and see how its sounds.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
i personally have had only good experiences with mTx
Quad L Handyman services
Blazermedic 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
I've heard an 801D and they are nice amps. RF is right about their power pull though. Those amps require serious power and you'd better have some backup ready for your battery. A cap would be good, a second battery would be better.
Cary
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 9:02 PM / IP Logged  
Alright maby i shoulding go with the amp because i cant afford messing up my alternator. I had a 1001bd and 2 punch hx2 15s but just returned them relizing the stress it would put on my alternator. Whats a good amp for running the 12'' titanium eclipse that wont mess with my electrical system?
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
Also i have the towing package on my car. (2000 limited 4runner) i think that has a higher output alternator than a non towing. just what ive heard
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 2:35 AM / IP Logged  
well, if you dont want to run the risk of damaging your alternator, then get rid of your power hungry Eclipses...
those subs need some serious power, more than you will be able to run off of your puny stock alternator...if you arent willing to upgrade the very heart of your stereo, you shouldnt bother wasting the money on the peripherals...you just run the risk of damaging something or everything all at once...
Fullthrottle 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Blazermedic wrote:
I've heard an 801D and they are nice amps. RF is right about their power pull though. Those amps require serious power and you'd better have some backup ready for your battery. A cap would be good, a second battery would be better.
Cary
Before I would do that - a cheap and easy way of "upgrading" your alternator is to increase the size of the line that carries voltage from the laternator to the battery - usually thru the starter solenoid. Most of them are 8 - 10 guage, I have increased mine to 4-gauge and you would be shocked at how brighter my lights are, how quicker my car starts. I also recommend increasing the size of the ground and positive cables coming off your battery as well. Do all that THEN upgrade your laternator or install the cap.
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2003 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
I do not have the titanium yet and now plan on getting the aluminum and running it on the new Kicker SX650.1 or the 501db RF. Any suggestions on the kicker? has anyone heard them or heard about them?
thanks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic