icon

12 or 15?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
Im putting an eclipse aluminum in my car and love bass, i listen to rap. So would i be able to tell the diff from the 15 or 12?
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
yes
simple what is going to create more air displacement. more force or less force. bigger or smaller.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
AudioAdrenaline 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

A 12 will hit cleaner than a 15, but the 15 will put out higher spl and generally hit lower.  If you are a fanatic for sound quality, stick with the 12.  If you wanna rock people from blocks away, go with the 15.  Considering you are using an Eclipse sub, the sound from the 15 is still going to be very clean.  Most of the installs that I have done, where the customer listens to Rap I have suggested 15's and they have always been happy.  I've done many installs with 1 well powered 15 and in a good box that just straight up scared people.

pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
audio arden.-what kinda boxes and what was the cuft? im doing a fiberglass one
AudioAdrenaline 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmmm....It just depended on the sub.  One was an alpine type r 15 in 1.5 cuft sealed 3/4 mdf, another was a kicker comp in 3 cuft sealed.  the last was a budget install in a dodge neon that was a fosgate "Z" in 2.25 sealed.  One of the loudest ones was 2 jl 15w6s in 1.5 cuft each sealed in a hatchback.  One of the deepest hitting setups was 2 15" audiobahn excursions in 2 cuft each running at 1 ohm off the a1200 audiobahn class d amp.  Not the loudest, but it went low and didn't get to messy doin it.  I know none of these were really SPL setups, but I've always been partial to loud AND clean.

Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

Ever done a MQ quart system? anyone?

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
audio what would your suggestion be on a 15 eclipse alum in a sealed?
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

In my opinion 15's are ok but sometimes sound like they are dragging.  12's in the right box can really move somethings.  Also, depending on the car the size of the subs makes a difference because subs move air.  The smaller the car the less are there is to move so the smaller the sub can be. 

pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 4runner
AudioAdrenaline 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2003 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
To be honest Pure, I've never worked with Eclipse subs I've heard them, but never installed them, so I wouldn't have any idea.  With most boxes, I look up the recommended sealed box size, built it to those specs, and try it out.  If it's not quite deep enough, I'll build one .5 cuft over ant try again.  In most instances I've found the factory specs to be pretty good.  In the open cabin of your 4 runner, that sub is gonna sound nice.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic