icon

loose Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
molotov_icr 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have 2 15inch JL W3's in a custom box.  The one on the right side is a bit loose near the bottom left corner.  Air escapes from and around three screws.  I've tried bigger screws but the holes are just too big now for any bigger screws.  I want to epoxy the holes and redrill them.  Will this work?  Will it hold up?  Or is there a better way to do it?   I've contemplated putting a long strip of foam tape along that one side to keep the air from going out, but my screws will still be loose and I am sure the problem will find a way to continue.   If anyone has ever ran into this I would really apreciate your ideas so that it can be a quick fix, thanks, peace. 

"If it's to loud, Then you're to old"
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
injecting wood glue or wood putty in the screw holes, i  think would work.
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
Try using bolts with t-nuts next time. If you are using screws they are bound to come out and if my memory serves me correct, IASCA and USAC both say that you can't use drywall-type screws for mounting anything.
I always use hex head bolts with a t-nut for all my speakers. Never have any problems.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

Quick fix: Remove the woofer and run a bead of sealant around the mounting hole.  Replace the woofer sealing the entire circumference.  Fill all your moutning holes with good quality wood glue and replace the screws (being sure to wipe up any excess glue.)  Wait for the whole assembly to dry (6 to 12 hours) and see if it holds.

Permanent fix: replace the speaker mounting baffle with a new piece of MDF and use bolts like suggested above.

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  

mj239air wrote:
Try using bolts with t-nuts next time. If you are using screws they are bound to come out and if my memory serves me correct, IASCA and USAC both say that you can't use drywall-type screws for mounting anything.
I always use hex head bolts with a t-nut for all my speakers. Never have any problems.

What do you use to seal the bolts if anything?

Quad L Handyman services
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
I don't use anything to seal them. When I install the t-nuts, I don't drill a hole even big enough for them and have to pound them in with a hammer. Make sure you install the t-nuts into the baffle before you put it on to your box and don't pound too hard so that you don't crack the wood. Have done that on ocasion when the wood is thin in spots, then you have to start all over. When you put the bolt into the t-nut it seals up everything else. Every speaker I have ever installed has a small seal already on it.
On another note if you want a quick fix, just rotate your subs a little both ways in the hole to where you are on virgin wood(never been screwed into) and you will have 8 new holes and can do it right.
molotov_icr 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I'll go and get some of those t-nuts at the hardware store and then see if i can seal them.  I can't rotate it because then the JL logo will be crooked on one side, that would not look good.  Thanks a lot, peace.
"If it's to loud, Then you're to old"
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2003 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

Can i see a pic of this bolting method...im curious

apple_jack2004@yahoo.com

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic