icon

audiobahn amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ishinc 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
hey! does anybody know if this amp is any good? the audiobahn A2401Q 2-Channel Amplifer? it is 280watts mono. i want to power a JL 10W6 the older style sub. is this good enough? any suggestions? thanks!
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Basically that is only a SVC sub so the most you will be getting out of that amp running at 4ohms will be 100watts rms. If your looking to power that sub you might want to look into getting a good quality 2-channel such as the JL 300/2. Basically if you use the audiobahn amp you are going to end up running the amp into clipping and risk damage to the sub as well as the amplifier.
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  
From what I've read Audiobahn makes a very reliable amp. That one in particular is 100 x 2 @ 4ohms, 140 x 2 @ 2ohms, and 280 x 1 @ 4ohms mono. The newer JL 10W6's are 6ohm DVC rated 300RMS. Being one 6ohm DVC, you'll get a 3ohm load wired in parallel. I don't know if that amp is 2ohms Mono stable, so you may run into problems.
IMO if you have the DVC version then you would be better off finding a Class D mono amp that is 2ohm stable rated apx. 400 x 1 @ 2ohms and 200 x 1 @ 4ohms. That way you should be right around 300 x 1 @ 3ohms (close enough for gov't work anyway).
Even if you have the SVC version that Nedgeworth mentioned you would still be better off with a different amp
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
As far as i'm aware from my readings apparently that amp is 1ohm stable. But yeah if it is the DVC version like Wvsquirrel mentioned you would be better off going with a Class D mono.
Ishinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
hey thanks for the information, but i still don't know what to get, actally i'm not sure what sub i have now, it's just says 10W6. i just want some more bass in my car so i don't need anything crazy, maybe something around 150 dollars. what do you recommend? thanks!
thirdgenaccord 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2003 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

Get one of these jbl 300.1 or the 500.1

http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=BP300.1&ser=POS&cat=AMP

they're good amps i had one (but put it in my gf's ride).

If you got the 300 it'd be perfect (not too much not too little) but if you got the 500 then it wouldn't have to work too hard.

not that it'd matter they're very solid and reliable amps.

he was right though you might want the 500 cause it'd be running at 3 ohms in parallel. so the 500 would put out about 400W whereas the 300 would put out about 150W.

Pioneer Premier DEH-P550MP
Pioneer TS-D160R fronts
Pioneer Premier GM-X644
Clarion SRW2581 (10")
Ishinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
if i'm running a 500 watt amp, and at 3 ohms, does that mean i have 3 ohms of resistance therefore i really only have about 400 watts going to my sub? how do i know how many ohms i'm running? and is it selectable? thanks for all the help!
wvsquirrel 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
First look at the back of your sub. Does it have 1 or 2 sets of terminals (where you hook up the speaker wire to the sub)? A DVC will have 2 sets (generally on oposite sides of the sub). An SVC will only have 1 set (they mays have 4 terminals, but they are all connected on the same side of the sub). You magnet should also have the impodence (ohm) information
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Ishinc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
oh, thanks! mine has 4 tabs but all on the same side, so it's a svc (what does it stand for?) what does this tell me?i can't find the ohm on it tho...
wvsquirrel 
Posted: September 26, 2003 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
OK, SVC stands for Single Voice Coil. DVC stands for Dual Voice Coil. DVC's offer more wiring possibilities and usually have a higher RMS and Peak ratings. Let me do some reasearch and find the rest of your specs...
Squirrel
Donate to the12volt.com
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic