icon

More speakers = More Noise ?’s

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
specialblendj 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  

Does adding more speakers actually increase volume?   What would be the actual difference between having 8 speakers running at 50 Watts rms each or having only 4 running at 50 Watts rms each?  More SPL right?  Does more SPL necessarily mean more volume though?  SPL is sound pressure level, so is this actually a measurement of volume necessarily?  If i have a hundred speakers in my car but the volume on my head unit at 5, will it still sound quite?  I think it will, but will it have a higher SPL at this volume.  Also what are the actual affects of more subwoofers in comparison to those of the same amount of subwoofers just with more power.  I've read that to double the volume of your subs you must give them ten times the power.  So what does doubling the cone space by adding a second sub do?  It will make it hit twice as hard right, but is that just the feeling that hits twice as hard at the same volume?  In this case, spl would be hard to gain by adding High and Midrange speakers, right, since they don't produce that pounding feeling, just volume. 

Sorry for so many questions, thanks.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

SPL = loudness.  So more SPL will by definition sound "louder."  In general, adding a second equal driver at the same power level to a system adds about +3db to the SPL.  This is not a linear additive effect, however, so adding 100 speakers does not mean +300db.  I m not good enough in calculus to answer your question about 100 speakers accurately, but in general will it still "sound quiet"?  No, it would sound about 10 times as loud.  And yes, what you heard is basically correct, doubling the perceived loudness of a sound (i.e. increasing the SPL from 50db to 100db) would require about 10X the amount of acoustical power, whether that was achieved by adding more cone area (more speakers) or by adding more amplifier power to the same speaker does not matter, you could do it either way.  So when the stereo salesman tells you that 250 watt amp will sound twoce as loud as that 125 watt amp, tell them to go back to school!

specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
OK thanks for the help.  But wouldn't you say that adding more subwoofers is a more efficient way of adding more bass in terms of cost.  Like getting an extra sub would give me more bass than doubling the power to the first sub right?  Considering that the second sub would get the same amount of power as the first was. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2003 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

Once you hit the max rating on a sub, then yes, adding more speakers is the only way to create more SPL.  The SPL a sub can create depends on the speaker ratings, the enclosure design, speaker placement, AND available power.  Proper enclosure design can do more to add to your SPL (or improve your SQ) than almost anything else in the system.  After that, the next thing to do if all you are after is SPL, in my opinon, is to max out the power.  And remember, "doubling the power" or doubling the speakers has nothing to do with doubling the SPL. 

The actual formula for calculating net SPL from multiple speakers is SPLnet=10 x log ((10SPL1/10) + (10SPL2/10) + (10SPL3/10)) etc etc....  So, if your first sub can produce, say, 100db SPL at max power, adding a second sub exactly like it (that also has max power available) will raise total SPL to about 103db.  Will you hear that difference?  Maybe, maybe not.

wrencher_25 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2003 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
You also have to take into consideration that adding more speakers will not necissarily give you more bass either....you have to worry about some speakers actually cancelling out other speakers and therefore would have no effect of the system what-so-ever. It really all comes down to enclosure....the better the enclosure has been designed the better your overall system turns out. For example we have a car audio van here at Visions in Red Deer AB that had 64 10" in the back...there was more cancellation than good being done. Know what i'm saying? it's all in how the design has been done.
Andrew Weitzel
MECP First Class Installer
specialblendj 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2003 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
Yes I definately have done some reading about cancellations, and all of the subs will be next to each other facing forward in the same direction in the car, so from what I know cancellation won't be an issue unless the subs are facing each other. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic