icon

Sound Dampening!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mekanism 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2003 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
I am in the process of building my system and am wondering if I really have to spend the money on Dynamat?  Are there other products out there that are just as good for cheaper.  Keep in mind I hope to do competition later for sound quality.  Thanks for any info.
There is no end to cherry
soup 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 4:05 AM / IP Logged  

Hey,

I was just researching this myself. From what I hear, if you dont want to use something as thin as dynamat, the best bet would be to go for a roofing material called Ice Guard.

You can always just use carpet backing, it works great, maybe even better than dynamat, but of course, the thicker it is, the better it works, and the thicker it is, the more room it takes up, stopping panels from fitting right, doors from closing, and any other problem the bulkness will add.

There is also sprey on rubber coating or rubberized truck bedliner material, but to me those dont sound like they would work very well. Not to mention truck bed coating is very potent smelling, and VERY hard to work with. It would be like soaking your car in tar.

The only bad thing that I have heard about Ice Guard, is that it is very hard to find in small quantaties. Most places will only sell it in bulk 225^2' rolls.  Those 225 square feet only costs $70.00 USD though. A lot better than Dynamat at around what...   .70 a foot?

Hope this helps you

mekanism 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
soup wrote:

Hey,

I was just researching this myself. From what I hear, if you dont want to use something as thin as dynamat, the best bet would be to go for a roofing material called Ice Guard.

You can always just use carpet backing, it works great, maybe even better than dynamat, but of course, the thicker it is, the better it works, and the thicker it is, the more room it takes up, stopping panels from fitting right, doors from closing, and any other problem the bulkness will add.

There is also sprey on rubber coating or rubberized truck bedliner material, but to me those dont sound like they would work very well. Not to mention truck bed coating is very potent smelling, and VERY hard to work with. It would be like soaking your car in tar.

The only bad thing that I have heard about Ice Guard, is that it is very hard to find in small quantaties. Most places will only sell it in bulk 225^2' rolls.  Those 225 square feet only costs $70.00 USD though. A lot better than Dynamat at around what...   .70 a foot?

Hope this helps you

Thanks for the info.  I heard about using some kind of roofing material but wasnt sure what it was called.  I looked in Home Depot for some but the stuff I found would have been too hard to work with and it smelled really bad.  I started researching the web and found this site.  www.b-quiet.com   They have this stuff called Brown Bread which is way cheaper than Dynamat and is actually better.  For 70sq. ft. its only $159.  I could buy 140sq. ft. and layer my car twice and it would still be cheaper than just 1 layer of dynamat.  So I think this is what I will buy. 

Thanks for your help. Im still going to check out that Ice Guard stuff to see if its somewhat easy to work with and isnt too thick.

There is no end to cherry
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

The only dampening material you will find that doesnt stink real bad would be carpet backing. Pretty well anything including dynamat and brown bread will stink to high heaven. The best thing to do is install it throughout the whole interrior, and leave the doors open over night in a garage if possible. At least that is what I hear.

I have heard of brown bread, but the person telling me about it said that it was more expensive than dynamat. If it is cheaper, I think I will look into that as well.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2003 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
The best thing i have found to use is rubberized undercoating... this is like the bedliner material    spray on.   it is not hard to work with but you have to do 1 layer at a time!   if you do more it takes forever to dry.    i have done my whole car inside the cab and trunk using expanding foam for the open spaces inside the walls and trunk and deck lids ect.    then gone over it and all metal surfaces using 3 to 4 coats of rubberized undrcoating    you can get this for about $5 a can and it will take about 3 cans to do a average trunk   hope this helps contact me if you need more info
intensem1rider 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
i used the roofing stuff called ice guard, its really thin and flexable, its just tar with a wax paper cover really. I noticed a heuge loss in viberation with only 1 layer. But i got this stuff as a trade for a sub box i built, i was going to get brown bread becasue it he been tested and rated better and cheeper than dynamat.
p.s. , the smell goes away after a day or 2
MrKruger 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2003 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
if your going to do comps then i wouldnt skimp out on anything, the better the quality, the better the system. I used dynamat and it works awesome, i believe it wokrs better than brown bread too. i tried both and was happier with dynamat.
Let the joy run free when the noise turns to music, let it calm your sould and rattle your bones
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2003 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
im interested in the ice guard. any body have info on it and where to get?
Quad L Handyman services
soup 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2003 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
I guess it all depends on depends on where you live for where you can get it. But check major hardware stores in your area, and any specialty roofing supply stores. It is used to go on before shingles as far as I know in roofing.
~kingpin~ 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 23, 2003 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
ive used brown bred i like it allot but keep an open mind on the roofing material that was mentioned earlier i put 3 layers of it through out the car what a difference it made it does not stick as well as dynamat and brown bread but it does the job just be ready to make the roller yul be using your new best frend
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic