icon

Sound Dampening!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
This topic just keeps rearing its ugly head.
Here is a quote from me on the same topic earlier this year.
"Another trick you can do is to get some of that bed liner spray. This not only seals the box but also adds sound deadening and vibration control which helps stop fatege with the MDF, nails or screws, and glue. That's the only problem with using fiberglass resin, It fails over time. At least if the box is used hard.
If your design warrants using internal bracing make sure that you router all the edges off so that the air moving inside the box moves smoothly around the brace. I would stick to using MDF strips cut about 2" wide for the braces and make sure that the braces do not touch the woffer at all.
Most of all.   Take you time and do it right the first time. Don't let your buddies rush you into building a junker box.
Using these methods you will build a box that really rocks(as long as your air volume is correct)."
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
JL3GEclipse 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
brown bread actually sucks. dynamat does not smell.  dynamat is the easiest sound deadener to use.  I would only use extreme though...you get what you pay for here.
mekanism 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks again for all of the input.  I have decided to use Brown Bread.  For $130 on ebay I can get 70 square feet  plus a roller.  I went on their site and looked at the comparison between Brown Bread and Dynamat Extreme and the figures on the BB looked better.  Even if the BB is not as good as the DE I could cover the car 3 times for the same price as Dynamat.  To me I always thought Dynamat was way overpriced, but its all opinion I guess. 
There is no end to cherry
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
There is a material called FAT Mat and it works just like Dynamat.  It is exactly like Dynamat buy a lot cheaper. go to www.fatmat.com to check it out.  You can get it on ebay for next to nothing
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2003 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
If i were to order lets say 36 sq ft of fatmat do i just take off my door panels then cut off that plastic sheet and take off one side of the fatmat that will make it sticky and then use a rollers and roll it onto my door? I have a 4 runner will this help me much? Thanks
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
neonsxt 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2003 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

I figured I would post their information about RAAMmat.   The mat comes in 60mil thick and is comparitive to Dynamat, the big difference being cost. Rick sells the RAAMmat for $99 and the roll of mat is 15" wide and comes with 62.5 sq ft of material. Thought I'd pass along the information and help out one of my newly aquired (just got them to sponsor me last week) sponsors: http://www.raamaudio.com/products.htm

Garry
Sponsored by: Audiobahn, RAAMaudio, TYC, & Kaotik Graphics
kalito 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
i just bought 100sqft of fatmet from fatmet.cim for 119 shiped... check the out!
kalito 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
sorry about the spelling fatmat  and is from fatmat.com cal the up for the 119 price and ask them for it b/c they are having a sale
TechSys 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
I have found that the Home Depots in the SOuthern states do not carry Ice Guard, at least here in JAx, Fl, they don't. There is a variations of it called weather Guard. It comes in a RED / white box, is 140sq ft, and costs about $45.95. I have heard it is the same stuff as Ice Guard, and from what I could tell by looking at it, is almost the same texture and weight as Dynamat. 150sq.ft. should be more than enough to deaden the whole car (I think)
But there are plenty of alternatives to sound deadening. 1) Fill all big voids (holes) with minimal expanding foam, be carefull it can and will bend the metal if not extremely cautious. 2) Silicone can be used for places that 2 pieces of metal lay over the top of each other, but don't actually connect. 3) Rubberized undercoating stinks, but it good. 4) Rhino Bedliner is great for adding a little mass which will help deaden everything it is on.
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Dont have it here in ATL either
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic