icon

Sound Dampening!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  
Soup, that stuff you got is horrible.  I know, I bought a roll at Lowe's.  I got frustrated with it trying to get it to stick, even with a hair dryer.  I had already prepped the surfaces clean with acetone and a rag, too.  I ended up only using it on the floor.  I guess I figured it can't fall off there- haha.  Peal-n-Seal works well.  I did both doors, and had some left over.  I picked up some more, and will do the hatch area when I get the chance.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

Has anyone used the damping stuff that in the back of parts express catalog.....i cant remember the name but there is a couple different types by the same company casadence ( I believe ), if anyone has used it what one? ... also what about those rings that you place behind the speaker....a mat like ring?

thanks doug

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
ballplaya 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2004 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
That carpet backing that was discussed..........are we talking about that foam material that you find underneath wall to wall carpeting? If so, what is the best way to apply it to you r trunk lid? Spray on adhesive?
ballgame!!
shane7643701 
Copper - Posts: 41
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 27, 2004 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
I have used the ice guard, not  on cars or anything, but on roofs, since I build build new houses and do all kids of repairs on older houses, the ice guard isnt very thick, its pretty easy to work with also, if there is a Lowes near you, check and see if they have it
live in your world, come play in mine
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2004 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  
I was informed about this stuff from another forum here on the12volt. I recieved my order very quickly. I just ordered one 32"x54" sheet to get a sample of this product. It cost $14.62 plus shipping. That's 12 square feet of this stuff, which is the same thickness as Dynamat, for the same price as 2 10"x10" pieces of Dynamat. It sticks the same a the expensive stuff. A heat gun would be advised on non-flat surfaces.
www.mcmaster.com
At the bottom of the page you'll see "raw materialsand springs" with 'sound absorbers' just below it, click on it. It will take you to catalog page 3266, click on the catalog page arrow until you get to page 3270. At the bottom you will see a bucket of vibration damping compound and adhesive-back damping sheets. I bought the polymeric mastic sheet since it's the same thickness as Dynamat. I'm not sure about the other sheets on there though.
I bought some Fatmat, but it's only .045" thick, where this stuff is .070" thick.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
ryanb 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

Has anyone thought of using lead sheeting? comes in various weights and thicknesses and is about 1/2 the price of most other sound deadners.  I am building a GMC pickup and installing a Cummins diesel (not the quietest engine in the world!!!!!) and the lead deadends the sound like no other. It has a mass about 10 times that of dynamat and the others. And just so you all know....lead is only toxic if you eat it or inhale it.  You can buy lead sheeting from most roofing suppliers.  It is also super easy to instal and you can cut it like butter and mold it to any shape and is only 1/32nd of an inch think!!!!!

Try it, it works great!!!!

Ryan

tricken 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 02, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
i have done of 3 cars with fat mat the stuff works well holds under heat i am in phx az and we get 120 summers. most people think that they need to cover the whole dorr to stop rattles. i find that if ur not competaing a few strips put on the doors trunk backs here and there do great. even a small 1x 4 inch strip on the back of the plate stops the rattles.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic