icon

2000 Acura EL

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mbsaudio 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 5:36 AM / IP Logged  
Need info for 2000 Acura EL. The car is about finished, but can't find the wire for the trunk release. The alarm module is under the driver seat and there is a blue/red wire there that changes from neg. at rest to positive when releasing the trunk with the factory remote. If I tap into this wire with my relay it just pops the fuse. Also need trunk pin wire, should be at the alarm module.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
I haven't worked on one of those cars before, but I've seen them when I visited Montreal. We don't have the EL in the U.S.
As far as blowing the fuse, either you've miswired something, or the car's trunk release wire rests at ground. Here's how to find out.
Get a length of scrap wire, and temporarily connect it to a source of constant power. Put a fuse inline. Now touch the other end of the wire to blue/red you mention........does the trunk open, or does the fuse blow again?
If the trunk opens successfully that way, you've made a mistake wiring up your relay.
If the fuse does still blow, then the module under the driver's seat probably rests at ground. But you can use your relay to isolate it as follows:
86: negative trunk output from aftermarket alarm
85 and 87: fused, constant positive
Next, cut that blue/red wire in half. Connect the alarm-module side to 87a, and connect the trunk-motor side to 30.
Now, when you operate your trunk release, power will only be sent back to the trunk motor, not to the alarm module itself.
As for the trunk pin wire, I don't know. But I would first go directly to the trunk light, test the wire there, then write down the color you found. Now it will be easier to find it somewhere up front.
mbsaudio 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Chris thanks for the quick response. The fuse does blow with a direct power so I'll try the relay configuration. Seems it'll work. Thanks alot.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2003 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
No problem, glad to help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic