icon

amp problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gregkgkemp 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
My big monoblock amp keeps cutting out (protect mode) as soon as the radio turns on. However, if i disconnect the sub the amp does not go into protect. Am i drawing too much power? I'm trying to figure out the draw of my amps. One has 3 25 amp fuses, and the other has 4 40 amp fuses. how much draw is that? do i need a bigger alternator and battery?? if so, what size would be sufficient? I have a 1998 chevy pickup.
Sound World 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
What is the impedence of the sub - 4ohm, 8 ohm, dual 2ohm, dual 4 ohm?  What size power wire?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
Can you list your setup(model #'s)?
intensem1rider 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
sounds like a case of the blown sub......or messed up sub wireing. Pray its the wireing!
but please tell us models of the amps, and models of the subs, and what impedence the subs voice coils are, then we can help you out.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2003 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
u probably got the subs at too low of an ohm load for the amp to handle so thats why it cuts out, but just like everyone else said...we need to know what kinda subs and amp you got and whats the impedeance on the voice coils, and how did u have them wired up
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 2:03 AM / IP Logged  
learn quick that its the sub, me and my friend were just starting into car audio and ended up replacing everything but the sub before we figured out it was blown. ended up spending over $300 when i have subs sitting in my room and garage.
Quad L Handyman services
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
I have to agree that it appears the problem is with either the sub or the way it is wired to the amp. Too low of an impodence can cause any amp to go into protect mode, even if it didn't do it before. Amps can be touchy about that. Initially some will work fine with a lower than stable ohm load, then one day it just stops working. Please list your make and model number for the amp and sub, the number of subs you are useing, and how you currently have them wired.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
gregkgkemp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2003 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

amp: crunch v-1800 monoblock sub: 2 ohm dvc kicker s10l7. wired in parallel.

wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
More than likely you blew your sub. The S10L7 is 600RMS 1200Peak. The Crunch V-1800 is 1200x1@1ohm. Assuming that amp is producing anywhere near its "rated" output, then you threw the subs Peak rating at it. Major no-no. You should have thrown somewhere between 600-900 watts max to that sub, not 1200 watts.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
gregkgkemp 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2003 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

how can i test and see if it is blown?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic