icon

2004 dodge diesle

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
larkster 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2003 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

i have done a couple of these trucks and have not been able to find proper tach signals .  I have tried using the injectors.  crank sensor.  inside the alternator at the rectifire. crank sensor works the best but sometimes undercranks. using the wire in the alternator works but when truck is really cold  it overcranks..  there is no longer a bcm in passanger engine compartment.  any ideas??

HamiltonAudio 
Silver - Posts: 278
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

what we've had excellent luck with is using a tach generator.  It straps onto the side of the alternator and "feels" the rectifiers powering up (senses AC voltage), and provides a steady AC signal to use for tach.  Works EXCELLENT, and we insist on using it on all diesels.  Lots of shops like "tachless" settings, but this tends to overcrank when warm and undercrank when cold (its crap!)  The part number we use is TGEN, widely available from most shop vendors.

b

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

on the 2003+ Dodge Diesel trucks, the TCC (Transmision control computer) still lurks on the passenfer side of the firewall as it always has (Auto tranny only).  Tach is to be had there on the BLACK/ grey.... don't remember exactly which plug, but I do believe it's the only one in the harnesses.  Stil a 4 cyl. pulse count too. 

The standards, I believe, live at the ECM bolted to the driver's side of the engine block.....waaayy down.  don't remember the exact wire color or position at the moment.

Hope this helps.

Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
jb30 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
On the standard transmissions I have found the tach wire on top of the cylinder head in a four plug connector, the wire was yellow or yellow/white.  I have sometimes found the glow plug wire down on the drivers side of the engine.
larkster 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info...(I will try to locate a tach generator and give that i try.)but gus1 the 2 automatic transmission trucks that i have done dont have the pcm in the same location in passanger firewall for 2004.ignition harness and all other wiring is completely different from 2003 .  Also at the ecm the color was blue/orange which is a crank sensor wire. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic