icon

Poly-Fill ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
does adding poly-fill to a sub box really make a difference?  does anyone have any personal experience with it?  and also, how much do u need to put into the box?  thanks for the help
philaf 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  

i've never heard a big difference, but i have a friend that swears by the stuff. supposed to slow down the sound waves or some-such. if it does, slower soundwaves make deeper tones. hence, lower bass.

although i can't tell for sure either way, there's nothing wrong with a little experimentation on your own part. you can get a big bag of the stuff in walmarts craft section for like $3. if you try it, make sure you let us know your take on it.

cheers

promodeepcycle 
Copper - Posts: 152
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2003 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
it depends on the box design ..... usally on ported boxes ...... it does "slow" down sound waves.. typically getting rid of hard corners.. better resonance
dont be a pet monkey ..use your dmm
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2003 at 12:54 AM / IP Logged  
poly fill delays the sound waves to create a "larger" enclosure. using about an inch of polyfill on all sides can increase the relative box size by 20%. using more polyfill than that is not reccomended. also if the polyfill touches the heated magnet you get an aweful smell from the port and or enclosure.
Quad L Handyman services
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2003 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

To absorb internal standing waves and to prevent reflections into the woofer cone, some sort of acoustic dampening material such as poly-fill should be added.  Adding this material to an enclosure will increase the apparent internal volume. This is important to note, especially with sealed box designs, since the enclosure should be filled close to 100% and equivalent volume increases of 10 to 25% are possible depending on the amount and type of material used, so you must undervolume the enclosure to achieve our target.  For example, calculate the target volume of the enclosure and then undersize by 10% when you build it, and add a pound of poly-fill for every 1 cuft of enclosure volume.  This will allow you to build a somewhat smaller enclosure for a given woofer.

funnycar 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2003 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ketel22 is right, definitely do not overfill the enclosure, the polyfill acts as an insulation then and overheats the magnet structure because the venting system of the voice coils can`t breathe.
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2003 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
wow so polyfill actually increases the volume?  i didnt know that, ive never used the stuff before but i always thought it took up airspace, but i did know it helps give deeper bass.  well i learn stuff everyday from this site
AudioBAHNvlcm 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2003 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, i hear some people saying you put in a pound of poly-fill for every cubic foot of box space you have, and then i hear, you put an inch layer on the inside.  so which is it?
crazyray 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2003 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  

Adding polyfill can increase the "apparent" box size by up to ~20% in a sealed enclosure. More than lining the walls of a ported enclosure may do more harm than good.

http://www.win.net/audtatious/audio/fiber.html

http://www.geocities.com/kreskovs/Box-1.html

Poly-Fill ? -- posted image.

Read and enjoy.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2003 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
It's better to loosely fill the enclosure than to "staple" poly-fill to the sides of the enclosure.  You want it to be loose and to fill the space (even though it will settle over time.)  Use between 1/2 and 1 pound per cuft.  I usually start with 1 lb and then if the bass is too "flabby", pull a little out.  It works best in sealed enclosures, or in the sealed chamber of bandpass enclosures.  I never use it in ported systems.  The dacron quilt batting you can buy in fabric stores will work just fine, and there are several brands specifically designed for audio.  NEVER use fiberglass house insulation!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic