icon

1997 Sunfire / Remote Starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blackbird19 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have installed a Bulldog remote starter on a 97 Sunfire and used a DEI 554 module to bypass the Passlock 1 feature. For some reason, the car shuts off after a few seconds of running... as if the Passlock was never bypassed. If the key is used to start the car and then I let the remote start take over (take the key out of the igition while the car continues to run), the bypass module gets the car's resistance code ok and the car continues to run. The remote starter will then start the car any number of times until the car is shut OFF with the key. Then the module seems to forget the resistance code and won't allow the car to start with the remote. In addition to this problem, anytime the remote start is used, the "Security" light on the car remains on. Is any of this making sense? If someone can understand the problem, can you off any help? If the problem is not clear, I will try to explain in more detail through email. (poolman58@yahoo.com) Thanks.
-Chris
vaderfop 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 12:35 PM / IP Logged  
What part number did you use to bypass? DEI part 554? for passlock I i believe you should use 555T or 555L.
Remember check all your wires with a DMM!
derek123 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

PL 1 only "looks" for/ at the r-code during the crank cycle.

thats what the bulb test, or crank wire is for on most bypasses, to know when to 'look' for the signal.

the reason you able to take over with the RS after a key start, is that the vehicle 'doesn't care' about the PL 1 after the vehicle has started.

dfiddy 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
p1 sucks...DEI 555L with bulb check...yep
blackbird19 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
i understand how passlock 1 works and i know why the car will remain running with the remote start after cranking with the key. my question is, why is the bypass module not remembering the correct code after programming it intially by cranking the car with the key? the DEI 554 says it's good for passlock 1 for the 97 Sunfire. (a tech at Circuit City sold it to me saying it was what they used when installing remote starts.) if the part is the only suggestion for my problem at this time, i'll go buy the 555L. thanks for the suggestion.
-Chris
daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I work for Circuit City and I never use 554 to bypass passlock 1, whoever sold you that did not know what he was talking about.  You need the 555L because the 554 is a pos and hardly ever works.  I only install with 555L.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
blackbird19 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i have to apologize to everyone. when i posted the first few messages, i was typing the parts on used off of memory. i was wrong about the 554. i have infact used the 555L just like every said i should. however, the problem still exists. does anyone have another suggestion for this problem? i apologize for the inconvenience and for doubting the pros. any further help would be greatly appreciated... my girl friend is starting to get on my back about it ya know? lol. thanks!
-Chris
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
are you shure you grabbed the right buld test wire?  it should be on the left of the steering colum, comming out of the black connector with 5 wires comming out of it i believe.  If thats not right, it should be between the 2 12v wires.......a 18 guage black wire..  hope that is the problem and solves it.
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have not had good luck with bypass modules when dealing with Passlock I, so I use 2 relays and a resistor and it works every time. My guess as to why the modules dont like to work, is perhaps the grounding of the bulb test wire. Either the ground is not good enough, or the timing is poor, or something, I dont know but I do know modules dont work too often. I havent tried any of the newer modules though.
If you give up, take a look at Diagram 2 on this link:
Passlock I Temporary Bypass (Diagram #3)
I use 10k trimpots because I can get the exact resistence, but a resistor within 5% should do. People will tell you that the resistors will get cold and then fall out of tolerance, but that will only happen if you are already at the limit of your tolerance to begin with, thats why i use trimpots.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
blackbird19 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
thank you so much for all the advice. as soon as the little woman can loan me her car, i'll double check the bulb check wire connection. if that isn't the problem, i will build my own bypass using the diagram. (probably should have went that route in the first place.) thanks again... i'll write later with the results.
-Chris

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic