Want to add illuminated entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Agdodge4x4 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2003 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

OK,

I did a search on illuminated entry on the site, and read some posts, but they dont really apply to my situation.  I have a 1996 Dodge Ram, and a Patriot alarm system.  I dont know what model or anything, it was on the truck when i got it used.  My dad also has the same brand of alarm......possible a different model, and his has illuminated entry.

I have opened the alarm box under the dash, and I dont remember seeing anything that i needed to be hooked up so that the illuminated entry would work.  So i am guessing my alarm doesnt have the feature.  Someone else suggested that it may have an AUX OUT that keeps things on for so long that i could hook up.  So....if i have to add it....what exactly do i need to get to make it work?  I know i need a relay....but what kind, do i get it at radio shack?  I saw on this site the page that showed the relay and what needs to be hooked up to what...but i still dont know what kind to get if i have to purchase one.  Is this a fairly easy mod to make??

Thanks for any info!!

NSGrimace 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
You said you checked the unit for outputs, I am not familiar with that brand but i know that DEI systems label that output as domelight supervision. You may need to use a relay to add this feture. Most security systems will use a negative output with between a 200ma to 500ma range. I would suggest using a standard automotive SPDT relay found in any auto parts store. If your system has a selectable input for this function you can probably get away witout it.
Good Luck!
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  

The reason you are not familiar with this alarm system is because the manf no longer exists, as far as i know.  The date tag inside the alarm says december 1995....so...its old.  Anyway, i will open the box later today, and then post what things are in there, and maybe somone can point me in a more narrowed direction once you know what is there to work with.

Thanks for your help!

Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  

OK,

I got the box out and looked at it.  This is the cover of the box i have, and it has a list of all the stuff.  All of the wires are hooked up except a couple.

+12V DC Power

+Flashing Light
+Siren Output
-Ground CHassis
-Shock Sensor Input
-500mA Starter Kill Output
-500mA trunk Release output
+LED Output
-Valet Input
Then there are these three that are separate.
-Anti theft trigger input
-500mA Door unlock output
-500mA Door lock output

Notice:   -  and + in the list.

So, now what?  There is nothing for illuminated entry....so how do i hook this deal up so that the dome lights stay on for 30-60 secs or until i turn on the ignition??

Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  
Also, i was reading on this page that the relay for illuminated entry is hooked up like this...blah blah blah....but it says in there IF you have an output (30-60 sec)...then its hooked up like this.  I DO NOT have an output with that duration apparantly.  So, how am i going to go about adding this illuminated entry feature.
NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Well since it is obvious there is no illuminated entry output, there is an alternative. You can purchase a DEI 528T Plulse timer relay which will convert a momentary + or - pulse(unlock output) into a timed relay driven output. You can purchase this item for about $20. Here is a link that I found:
http://www.radiomancaraudio.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DE528T
You will want to use a diode to ensure this works only with the keyless and not every time you unlock the door. If you have wiring Q's I am sure I could help.
Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

Awesome.

I KNEW there was a way to do this.  Yes, i will need some help most likely.  The first questions i can come up with are where do i hook that timer relay to, and also, what kind of diode and where does it go?  Will it be as easy as splicing it into one of my existing alarm wires?

Agdodge4x4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

Also,

Is this relay going to allow operation such that

-the lights will come on and stay on ONLY when i DISARM my vehicle?

-the lights will go out BEFORE the time is up if i turn the ignition ON?

NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it can be designed so the lights will go out when you turn the ignition on, and yes they will only stay on when you disarm the vehicle. I can draw up a schematic for you to follow.
NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2003 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
This is a pretty creud schematic but it gets the basic idea across. Since your truck should have 5 wire licking system, you won't need to diode isolate. This is assuming it is a five wire system and relays or a 451m was used for locks. Want to add illuminated entry -- posted image.
I wasn't able to find an installation guide for the 528T so the info i am going of of may be unreliable. this is something you would have to double check after you ordered the part.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic