icon

fuel pump kill swith

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rugerm44 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2002 toyota tacoma double cab.I would like to install hidden kill switch. Dose anybody know what color the power wire is for the fuel pump.One last question best way to wire the switch.
ruger
NSGrimace 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
There are many ways to wire such a thing. Just a suggestion, killing the starter might be more effective and definately easier to install. Are you looking for a practical theft deterent or is there another reason for this install? Explain how you would like it to operate.
For example you have to push a button every time before the vehicle starts, or do you want it to be something you have to set when you get out of the vehicle.
rugerm44 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
I have a viper with remote start and starter kill already installed. I ride and atv and have to park in remote locations with out a whole lot of people around and would like to install a manual toggle swith to kill the fuel pump if the get past the alarm.Thanks for your reply.
ruger
NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2003 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
I don't have info on the color or location of the fuel pump wires, but i can suggest that you use a standard SPDT relay and a toggle switch for the kill. Interupt the fuel pump wire with terminals 30 and 87A on the relay. Connect coil terminal 85 to your toggle sitch and ground the other side of the switch. Then hook coil terminal 86 to the ignition wire (BLACK/ red)in the ignition harness. Terminal 87 isn't used in this application. This should do the trick.
rugerm44 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the information. Just a matter of getting my old bones under the truck and finding the hot wire going to the fuel pump.You guys have a nice website! Thanks again.
ruger
Steveo_supremo 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  

NSGrimace wrote:
I don't have info on the color or location of the fuel pump wires, but i can suggest that you use a standard SPDT relay and a toggle switch for the kill. Interupt the fuel pump wire with terminals 30 and 87A on the relay. Connect coil terminal 85 to your toggle sitch and ground the other side of the switch. Then hook coil terminal 86 to the ignition wire (BLACK/ red)in the ignition harness. Terminal 87 isn't used in this application. This should do the trick.

NSGrimace,

If he wires it that way, he will be ENERGIZING the coil of the relay to kill his fuel pump. I know a relay coil only draws 100-200 milliamps, but that is easily enough to flatten a battery in a few days. If he drove it every day he might be alright, but if he left it parked for a couple days, especially if it was cold outside, he would have a dead battery for sure. 50 milliamps is the absolute maximum IMHO for a key off current draw and most modern vehicles already draw 20-30 milliamps with thier onboard computers.

rugerm44,

You can use NSGrimace's instructions, but interrupt your fuel pump wire with terminals 87 and 30. That way you you will have to turn the toggle switch on to make the fuel pump run, and when you turn it off to kill the pump when your truck is parked, it wont be drawing any current from your battery. Use a good quality (Bosch or Hella) relay not one of those no-name ones you get at walmart. If the relay ever does go bad and won't turn on (pretty unlikely) just unplug it and put a jumper wire between the wires that were connected to 87 and 30 on the relay. You can make up a little 2 or 3 inch jumper wire with a male spade terminal on each end and keep it hidden in your glove box if you want.

Another (probably better) way to do what you want to do is to simply interrupt the wire going to the coil of the factory fuel pump relay on your truck with a toggle switch. That way, you only have 1 fuel pump relay, not 2 and you don't have to buy a relay, just a switch.  

rugerm44 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
Thats a good idea. I got to thinking about it seems much simpler and less to go wrong. I will just have to trace the wire and find that relay going to the fuel pump.Thanks!
ruger
NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, if you read the instructions i gave you will see that the relay would only be energized if someone tried to start the vehicle, since the positive side of the coil is connected to the igniton wire not constant. This is the same configuration as a DEI starter kill relay. The relay draws absolutely nothing at rest. Either my instuctions or rugerm44's will work in this application.
NSGrimace 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2003 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
correction, Steveo_supremo's directons, OOPs!
Steveo_supremo 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2003 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry NSGrimmace, i didn't realize until just now that you meant to connect terminal 86 of the relay to switched power, not constant 12v. You are right, your method would work fine and also be more failsafe than using 87 and 30. 

I do still think that it would be better to not use a relay at all and interrupt the wire going to pin 85 or 86 (whichever is the ground wire) of the factory fuel pump relay with a hidden toggle switch.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic