Blowing trunk output?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jrinbc 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  

Ok. Let's try this again.

Blowing trunk output? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

jrinbc 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  

floaterr wrote:
This has been kinda touched on but here's my $.02
Find -another- 12v sourse. DO NOT use the one going to the relay.
I'm thinking it's possible that if you installed a diode with the line side on #86 the vehicles keyless entry system is sometime during the night fishing for a ground (for what ever reason). The car removes 12v from the line you connected to and uses the alarm as a ground for something else (accidently). Since the diode is 1amp (more the likely) it is bypassing the windings of the relay and pulling current through the trunk output.
Good luck

Here is an interesting cause and effect but I'm not quite following your thoughts. If I understand you, the car would turn the +12 off, for example through the battery saver relay, thus making the cathode more negative than the anode. The remote would then go to ground through the trunk output thus pulling too much current through the base and blowing the output transistor in the process. Hum!. Food for thoughts here. Only thing is, the first module didn't have the diode across the coil. i only added it because I thought that the coil field collapsing was the culprit.

Surely my setup is not that different than what many others would do. There are also 100's of Taurus out there so someone else should have seen this problem right?

jrinbc 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
Still need some help with this. Anyone?
petzl_zoom 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
According to my keyless entry install guide it recommends that you cut the factory trunk lead and route it through the 87a terminal on the relay.
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I told Jrinbc earlier in the post. Newer vehicles today, trunk release wire rested at Ground. You will have to cut the wire and connect the switch side to 87a and connect the motor side to 30.
Good luck.
jrinbc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

Is this the wiring setup you're talking about?

I'll be getting a new module on Wednesday and I'm planning on changing the wiring to this.

This way the remote output will be isolated from the trunk circuit.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
You are making this way too complicated.
Get rid of the diode.
Connect the (-) trunk release output from the alarm to 85.
Connect a 3 amp fused +12 volt wire to 86
Is this the Taurus with the trunk release switch on the panel below and to the left of the steering wheel? If so, there are two wires going to the switch. Connect one to 87, and the other to 30. Thats it. Done. Doesn't matter if the trunk release in the car is negative or positive, as the above relay setup would just be replicating the function of the factory switch....joining two wires together.
jrinbc 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks JWorm,

The setup you suggest is really the same as I'm picturing above. The diode is already on the relay and it won't hurt anything other than polarise the coil's input. Will it?

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic