icon

Ultimate DT2-800 digital amplifer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ToddNaz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the advice fuseblower! I called SD and cancelled the 2 MTX woofers and then got these 2 Rockford Fosgate Punch HE2 RFP4212 Subwoofer DVC 4ohm woofers> http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCRFP4212 My order doesn't ship out until later this afternoon so I caught it in time. Thanks.

How do I wire these? Pararrel or series? It sounds like you mean both? What would be the wiring diagram? Thanks.

fuseblower wrote:

The subs that you have are the 4 ohm single voice coil model.  The only way to maximize the output of you amp would be to get the dual voice coil subs and wire them in parallel than into series to present a 4ohm load to your amp.

In regards to the amp it is very clean but power hungry when pushed.  I have one bridged into two dual 4-ohm MTX-6000's.  I have been running the amp bridged over a year now and it has never shut down once.

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

I now see what you're saying with dual voice coil woofers. You would run each DVC woofer in parallel then run both woofer in a series to the amp. Ok, I'm starting to absorb this now. My question is why would you want to set this up at 1 X 800W in bridged mono at 4 ohms, <0.3% THD? This amp does a clean 2 X 400W at 4 ohms, <0.2% THD. Wouldn't the 2 ohm setup at 2 X 400 have less distortion (<0.2% THD) and deliver the same power to the woofers?

I would assume that if you tried to run these woofers in parallel only (@ 2 ohms, no series) then mono bridged the amp, it would try to push out 1 X 1600W's? That would blow the amp I guess?

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

/\Check that aboove/\ I mean 2 X 400W @ 2 ohms, not 4 ohms. Is it better to bridge at 1 X 800W at 4 ohms? I'm just looking at the THD% on this comparison. The lower the better is what I've read? The watts (800W) to both woofers is the same so why would bridging be better?

FB - Are these Ultimate DT2-800s quality amps? I'm asking for your honest opinion from your experience? Does digital make a big difference? Thanks.

fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

The main goal is to run the least distortion to you mids-highs. When it comes to your subs it is important to keep distortion down but not as important as it is with you mids-highs. Both wiring options will allow you maximize your amp

The only difference is (depending on your set-up) your subs will fade from left to right when in stereo mode and in the bridged (mono) they will not fade form left to right.

Ultimate has been around for years. The first ultimate amp I ever purchased was in '96, back then they came with certifications of output. That amp was rated at 2 X 150 and actual output was 2 X 183 at <0.05% thd.

I've had my amp over a year and the only time it shut down when my subs blew.

Digital amps are more efficient than the normal A and A/B amps which makes them more friendly to your cars' power supply.

This link lets you know a little about the technology in the amp that you have. http://www.tripath.com/downloads/an1.pdf

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent point on fading from L to R in stereo mode. Mono would make the most since like you said. Thanks for clarifying that. I will set each DVC woofer up in parallel then run them together in series. I should get quite a bit of bass off this setup with 800W's of clean power? You said these amps draw quite a bit of power at full load. I'm adding a 1 fared capacitor for the Ultimate amp only. I'm not going to run my other 480W amp off the cap, just the 800W by itself. My alternator is pretty heavy duty on my Lexus LS400. My other amp is a Coustic 481QE that I'm going to use at 4 X 60W @ 4 ohms with my 4 MB Quart speakers. I can also run that amp at 4 X 120W @ 2ohms. Is it possible to run the MB's at 2 ohms or would you even want to because of quality? They both have a Recommended RMS power of 30-80W. I'm sure this amp will do more than 60W @ 4 ohms anyway? I actually had very good luck with a old Coustic 380 amp about 13 years ago. It was a solid amp for me that gave me plenty of power and pretty good quality. Coustic has been around for a long time. Here's the amp I'm using to power these speakers> http://coustic.com/products/amplifiers/481QE.cfm  Here's the speakers that I'm using.

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MBQRSC210

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/MBQRSC210

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
heh im glad your not alone in this post ne more, you two got alot done while i was off at school.
Quad L Handyman services
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2003 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for this link http://www.tripath.com/downloads/an1.pdf That was good reading. It seems like all amps will eventually go digital? Don't you think?

fuseblower wrote:

The main goal is to run the least distortion to you mids-highs. When it comes to your subs it is important to keep distortion down but not as important as it is with you mids-highs. Both wiring options will allow you maximize your amp

The only difference is (depending on your set-up) your subs will fade from left to right when in stereo mode and in the bridged (mono) they will not fade form left to right.

Ultimate has been around for years. The first ultimate amp I ever purchased was in '96, back then they came with certifications of output. That amp was rated at 2 X 150 and actual output was 2 X 183 at <0.05% thd.

I've had my amp over a year and the only time it shut down when my subs blew.

Digital amps are more efficient than the normal A and A/B amps which makes them more friendly to your cars' power supply.

This link lets you know a little about the technology in the amp that you have. http://www.tripath.com/downloads/an1.pdf

fuseblower 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  

The coustic amp seems to be a pretty good amp.  From looking at the specs the amp will put out a little less than 60 watts since the ratings were done at 14.4 volts.  You will want to run you seps at 4 ohms to keep it clean and also you don't want to over power your bass. 

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, the bass is in the trunk though. I suppose I need lots of power to penetrate the over insulated Lexus? Check out this hell of a deal on this  KX800.4 Car Amplifier 4 Channel> http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=4323

If that Coustic doesn't sound up to par, I'll get this amp above for $268. I know that's a great deal. 100W X 4 @ 4ohms of clean power should be more than enough?

fuseblower 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
I think you will like the current set-up that you are going with.  I know that everyone believes in Rockford, JBL and other name brand compenents.  I once believed that way until I was made a believer and started learning about electronics.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic