icon

Alpine 12's vs Eclipse Alum 12's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
troysnx 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

Getting a 12" sub for my new '04 Cavailer coupe.  I'm pretty much decided on putting about 500watts to the sub in a sealed enclosure.  From reading alot of posts around here, word is Alpine hits hard and sounds great.  I also hear eclipse sounds like a dream at any volume.  Never read any threrad yet that compared the two.  My simple and quick question is...

Should I get a single Eclipse Alum series (4omh+4ohm), or Get the Alpine Type R (4omh+4ohm).  I understand the Alum IS more expensive and probably will sound better, but is it worth the extra dough?  I'm going to listen to my music loud....probably almost as loud as I can before I hear distortion in my midrange speakers up front.  500watts rms running at 2ohms to these, which would be the best deal for the dollar?

Thanks in advance to any replys! :)

R.Troy
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

Concidered shiva or brahma?

Out of those two, id get the eclipse-if i had the money.

What sound are you looking for btw?

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
troysnx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

I'm all about sound quality.  I don't want any distortion, but I do need the OPTION to turn it up loud enough to show off.  I'm a highschooler, first year driver, and would love to show my stuff off, but need something practicle to listen to everyday, 

R.Troy
nedgeworth 
Silver - Posts: 264
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2003 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
Definitely go with the eclipse! I'm sure you've read most of the post about them. I wasn't much of a believer at first but now that i own at pair of eclipse 10's i can't imagine anything else!
1 Eclipse 12 will put out twice as much as 1 Alpine. And SQ they are a lot cleaner than the alpines! So if you want your SQ and want to impress i'm sure this will more than impress a lot of people. Have you got any ideas on what sort of amp you want to run this off?
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with Nedgeworth once you go Eclipse you can never go back. The Eclipse is an awesome sub, and if you’re familiar with the Eclipse name you know it’s synonymous for top quality and SQ. The Alpine in my opinion is not that much better then your average sub, it just has a good name and reputation. If you’re ready to step it up, the Aluminum is defiantly the way to go. It puts out some excellent SQ but it can also make your chest hurt. The Eclipse is more money, but once you hear your new set it up you will defiantly know that you made the right decision. What amp do you plan on using?
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
I also would have to say to go with the Eclipse.  You will get better sound quality with them compared to the Alpine but this is only if you have the money for the Eclipse
troysnx 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

I figured any ole 500watt amp at 2ohms would be alright.  I was looking into the JBL 600.1, but word is they wear out quickly...which isn't good.  So lately I've been looking into basically anything.  I was looking at some audiobahns but can't seem to find one that puts of an even 500watts rms....closest I got without going under was 800watts rms at 2ohms. 

Any suggestions on amp?

R.Troy
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
Who ever told you the JBL's aren’t reliable is full of it. I would highly suggest the 600.1, in fact that was the amp I was going to recommend to you. I have used that same set up before and have never heard anything other then WOW. You will not find  better bang for your dollar, then you will with the JBL. But what ever your choice is just be sure  to get a good quality amp that will put out a clean 500 + RMS @ 2 ohms
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
ive got a jbl 600.1 pushin to compvr 12s at 2ohms and damn do the hit hard if u need more than 500 and wanna spend a lil more u can get a 1200.1 jbl amp for under 300 which is what i would go with these are really good amps i would say
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2003 at 8:48 PM / IP Logged  
troysnx wrote:

I'm all about sound quality.  I don't want any distortion, but I do need the OPTION to turn it up loud enough to show off.  I'm a highschooler, first year driver, and would love to show my stuff off, but need something practicle to listen to everyday, 

Whell, looks like im going to be the only one for alpine here, haha.

Alpine designes there products based on a SQ perspective, so the Type-R sub is by far a sweet SQ sub, but they were lucky to discover that the sub also can compete SPL wise and still sound great.  I have heard the eclipse, they are sweet too.  Now it basically just comes down to price range, and displacement.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic