the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper/Sunfire Car won’t start when cold?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
SunfireChik 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

I had a Viper 790VX installed a few months ago on my 2003 Pontiac Sunfire and last week it wouldn't start at night, with the remote or key. It works fine during the day, and since it just started getting cold out, I figured it was the cold.

I took it to the dealership and they said they couldn't find anything wrong and if it kept happening they said to take it to the place that installed the alarm and see if they could figure it out.

Well I called them and they said it might be my bypass and they want to charge me $75 to change the bypass. Before I go spending any more money on this has anyone else had this happen?

Thats not the only problem I've been having. Sometimes when I'm driving my dome light will go off every time I hit a bump. It's annoying as hell and I ended up taking the bulb out. Also, my rear turn signals stop working sometimes. I had the bulbs changed and they worked for a few days then quit again. I do have light up dual exhaust tips on it and after unhooking and hooking them back they worked for a while then quit again. At the dealership they said the bulbs were bad (after I had JUST changed them) and they said they replaced them. So far they're still working, but it's only been 2 days, so they might quit again.

Could an alarm really cause all these problems? I did get a recall for a drivers side headlight wiring defect, where it wasn't properly sealed. If they recalled that, maybe there's other wiring thats messed up on them?

I really don't want my car stranding me places at night anymore... anyone think they know what's going on?

misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
you took it back to the same place you had it installed and they would not change the by-pass? if i were you i would give them a second chance to fix it for free then if they do not i would contact the better business bureau. If i did that to a customer and a manager found out i would be getting a new job! if you are michigan i'll fix it if they do not!
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
do you know what kind of bypass did they use? are you sure they did not just bypass the passlock 2 with a resistor that might be why they want to charge you 75 dollars
SunfireChik 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

Well actually I bought the alarm and all the extra parts myself and went to them to install it. I have no problem paying the $75 if it needs a different bypass. The only thing is, nobody can say what's causing it. The dealership sent me away saying they didn't know what was wrong with it.

I bought the GM learnable bypass from the 12volt's shopping site. I figured it'd be a good one, but the installer wants to put a DEI one in it.

Why would a bypass suddenly begin not working at night? The engine turns over, it just won't start...

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
the 12volt's shopping site?
Viper/Sunfire Car won’t start when cold? -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2003 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

Doesnt sound like the alarm to me, only cause why would it do it at night or when its cold, possible cold start valve for the fuel injection??? as for the dome light it is possible if you have the rubber door triggers on the door one of them is worn out, that happend to my cousins neon, when he would hit a corner the dome light would come on, replaced the rubber boot for the door trigger and that fixed it.

SunfireChik 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  

http://www.12voltshop.com/browse.asp?cat=1311&path=1,1311 That's where I got the bypass from. I thought the sites were the same, but I never paid much attention, oops.

daniel2002p 
Silver - Posts: 524
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
The resond yout domelight keeps going off is because the shock sensor is backfeeding electricity, put a diode inline with the green and blue wires form the shock sensoor and any opther sensors you might have on the car, and that sould take care of the domelight problem, but as far as the car not starting, that is you chock (hope spelled tht right) problem.  The car is not giving itself enough gas to start.  The dealership needs to fix this.
2005 Toyota Corolla S
    1.8L VVT-i I-4
Always double check your wires with a DMM!!!
Do Not Use A Test Light!!!
MECP Certified Installer!
Best Buy 665 - IN IT TO WIN IT! TEAM MOBLE!
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
If you bought any one of these three: PLDATA IPPME or IPP03, then the vehicle should start with the key all the time. All three of those systems maintain the full integrity of the factory system. If the bypass fails, then the vehicle should still start with the key.
It sounds very suspicious to me. I cant think of any reason your car wouldnt start, except that maybe the installer didnt install the bypass you gave them.
That whole light problem sounds like a real pain in the a$$, good luck with that one.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
SunfireChik 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  

I'd buy the shock sensor backfeeding electricity except that it happened to me once after I'd had the car about a month and a half. Since I didn't notice it happening again until all this other stuff started happening I never thought anything of it. It might have been going off during the day and I just didn't see it, I only notice it at night. I didn't get the alarm installed until about a month or so after that, so I know the alarm isn't doing that...

The dealership had the car from friday until wednesday morning, and they didn't find anything wrong. Of course, it only doesn't start at night, and they were never there at 9:00pm, so they never saw it not start.

I bought the IPPO3 bypass, which the installer is telling me is a crappy one and I need to buy a different one off of him. Wouldn't they have had to install it for my car to work the 2 months or so it was installed? I used to start it with the remote all the time...

Wow, and the car isn't even 5 months old. I got a new car so I WOULDN'T have problems with it!

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic