icon

2 X 12 4 ohms DVCs wired right?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ToddNaz 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the tips forebidden. I have a Alpine MRP-F240 (40 X 4) in my boat that I could use in my car. I won't be using my boat until nex May at the earlies up here in Seattle. I think I want to buy at least a 75W X 4 amp so I can maximise my MB Quart speakers. These speakers sound AWESOME. The sound really good with this cheap-o Coustic amp. It's just when you are listening at lower levels is when you can hear that slight whine. The whine isn't really that noticable or horrible, I notice it and it bothers me. Most "non audio freaks" would probably live with it and not complain. I spent $3,000 on this system in the last few weeks so it better sound good.

I think those US Acoustics amps are a great value. I may get the Kicker KX800.4 at 100W X 4, 4ohms? I can get that amp at a great price right now. I know my MB Quart speakers are rated at 80W RMS max so would this amp blow them sooner or later? I figure I could turn down the gain? This would be my last piece to the puzzel I think? My Ultimate amp seems to be pushing my 12" woofers pretty darn good and clean.

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  

I wonder if I ran my Alpine amp at 2ohms X 4?> http://www.alpine-usa.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html

I would I wire my speakers front and back to show a 2 ohm load at the amp? Would I still have r & l, f & b fading? Would this Alpine F240 amp be a better choice over the Coustic 480QE?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
Ahhhh, no don't do it.You would have r & l but no F & R. Your Alpine is (chances r better than the average bear) still a made in singakoreatiawanapore amplifer. Leave the Coustic where it is or even better, the dealer should be willing to take it back from you on trade for a good American amp. The Kicker is a nice amp but probably a bit too big for your speakers, either use it and turn the gain way way way down or save some bling bling and get a smaller amp. The American amplifiers produce more current than the mad in singakoreatiawanapore amplifers do. The wattage rating can actually be smaller by comparison but the sq and overall output of your Quarts will improve with an American amp. A minimum of 50w x4 rms @ 12v from 20-20000hz is a great place to start.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  
Is the SQ good with the Kicker amps?
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Not bad, is that the only American built amp they carry?

ToddNaz 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
I was just at FRY's and bought 2 - 4 foot rools of DYNAMAT to line the inside of my box. I've read and I've been told many times that this makes a HUGE difference. The guy at Fry's said it makes 100% difference in a lot cases. Is this true? I got 2 rolls of 4 square feet. Is this enough?
forbidden 
Posted: November 05, 2003 at 7:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it will make a difference, what you are doing is adding mass to the panels, thus making it harder for the box to flex under pressure, however it does little if nothing to help prevent standing waves, this is what bassline does. Resilicone and paint that box, then apply the material if you like, personally I would use that material on the surrounding vehicle metal.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic