the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running wires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MX6boii 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Hi, I was wondering does everyone here run their door speaker wires through the rubber boot in between the door and the car? If so, I'm trying to learn how to do it because I've been bypassing that step and leaving the wires out to show. Just the thought of getting the boot off and finding some way of getting the wires through is just mind boggling to me. Since the work area is cramped up.
Anyone got any sites that teach you how to do this or maybe your own instructions would help.
Thanks.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Take off the door panels, take off the kick panels, find yourself some cablevision wire. Strip off all the insulation from around the wire, leaving only the center wire itself, it will be about 1/16" thick. Bend one end over on itself to create a nice rounded point. This small easily bendable wire you should be able to push through most rubber boots(some exceptions will apply, can't remember if yours is one of them) tTape on your speaker wire and pull it back through the boot, problem solved.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2003 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
fish tapes, coat, hangers, coax wire like forbidden said, all work to fish the wires through the boot, if you cant get it through the boot, you can go out buy two grommets and get a corresponding metal drill bit and have at it them you have spot just for your speaker wires. make sure the grommet is a tight fit on the speaker wires.
Quad L Handyman services
Greg S 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  

Judging from your screen name I'll bet you have a 2nd gen MX-6 94-97.  If so then you have a molex plug on the car side of the boot and no amount of trying to push fishtape or other stuff through the boot is going to help.  You have two basic options, drill holes and run your wires through new grommets and tubing or un clip the boot from the door jam and drill out some of th unuswed pins in the plug to fit better wire through.  The second option is a pain but is the better way to do it so you don't hve to worry about rust down teh line, or you acn do it the way I did and remove the door and add pins to the molex plug on both sides that will accept the larger gauge wire.  Just be sure to realign the door properly when you put it back on.  Thisis about the only way to get a good amount of room to work in on the passenger side.

Greg Stoddard
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
Greg is right, some Honda and Acura's are this way ass well, they are all a real pain the the butt. Have never had to take a door off though, had to move computers, that's a piece of cake.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
MX6boii 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Geez...so there really is no easy way. Greg, you're right. I got a '96 Six. I really don't want to take the doors off cause it'll be a pain to put back on. Let alone, heavy stuff... I'm sure I won't get the doors aligned also. I wonder how Tweeter does it up here, cause they had put speaker wires through the boot in my friends Civic. I'm definite that they didn't take off the door.   
I don't like the idea of drilling new holes in my car either. I had someone drill a hole and install a grommet for my door lock actuators and it doesn't look good. Got any more ideas???
Thanks.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
haha, i usually just keep probing and pushing for hours on end till it goes.  in the end my hands are bloody and greasy, but hey, im gettin paid for itRunning wires -- posted image..  I usually find it easier to push it through with a coat hanger from inside the door if posible.
Greg S 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  
I thought I recognized your screen name from back when I still had my six, used to be in SCPOC.  It is possible to drill out the molex with the door still on the car, it's just harder.  I found it easier to remove the door to do it, but I had already done it to a few other cars before that.  the door is actually easy to re-align when you put it back on, just make sure you have another person with you to hold it in place while you put the bolts back in.
Greg Stoddard
superstreet786 
Silver - Posts: 339
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
take off the door panel and use a clothes hanger to pull the wires through
---- 1996 Chevy S10 ----
1 Lightning Audio S2.600.2 Amp
2 Lightning Audio 12" Subs
1 Lightning Audio 1 Farad Cap
MX6boii 
Posted: November 04, 2003 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Greg S...yeah I remember you too from the boards. You had a nice ride that I admired when I got my 6 a few years back.
Well, since you say it's easy and you've done it before I'll give it a try. Right after I try the clothes hanger first, haha. I want to try the method that involves taking little things apart first. Usually I have no helper to help me hold the door.
What is involved to realign the door? Just align the window moldings so that it is straight?
Thanks.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic