meeting wattage problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaymes 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  

here's my scenero.

My subs are 700w max power and 175 rms. 4 ohms. I will b running 2 of them.

My amp for the subs is 2 channel 2x800 watts max and 400 rms. (also bridgable)

Is it even possible to run these together without blowing the subs? and if so please tell me how.

I am new to this and any answers will be greatly appreciated.

THank you

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  

What is the make/model of the amp?  In general, the specs you have listed should present no problems.  But tell us the type of amp and maybe there is an optimum setup we can recomend.

jaymes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  

The amp is a lanzar ( i know its cheap but i am on tight budget) vibe 258.  fuses are 25Ax2 . 2x400 rms 2x800 max. 1x1600 @ 4 ohms briged. Wouldi just have to set the level really low or what>

THanks

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  

you will be lucky to get 700 watts peak out of that amp and 100% efficiency.

The amp will not blow the subs unless you crank it to much it clip it.

If the amp is 2 ohm stable, than i would bridge it.  Just run te 2 positives from the subs to the positive bridge point on the amp, and the 2 negatives from the subs to the negative bridge point on the amp.

jaymes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks alpine guy. Does anybody else have any other recomendations or suggestions? Or do you agree with alpine guy?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

Just beacuse your amp says it 2 ohm stable, do not assume it is 2 ohm mono stable. Find out for sure if it is. You will more surely cause the amp to go into protection and may cause the amp to clip prematurely if you do run it at 2 ohms mono, both of which can cause significant damage to your subs.The gain control is not a volume control, it is designed to be turned doen, not up. Do you have a cd with a good high voltage preout? Where is the amp grounded to?Post up a little more history on the amp for me if you have the sheet available.

For example.

200w rms @ 1khz @ 14.4v

or

100w rms from 20-20000hx @ 12v

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jaymes 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2003 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

Heres some specs

• 2 x 400 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms
  • 2 x 800 Watts Max at 4 Ohms
  • 1 x 1600 Watts Max at 4 Ohms Bridged
  • 2 x 650 Watts at 2 Ohms
  • Electronic Crossover Network
  • Bass Boost Circuit
  • Bridgeable at 4 Ohms
  • 2 Ohms Stereo Stable
  • Tri-Mode Capable
  • Gold RCA Inputs
  • Line Outs For Left & Right Channels.
  • Power & Protection LED Indicators
  • Advanced Protection Circuitry
  • Soft Turn On/Off
  • Remote Control Bass Booster
  • Frequency Response: 15 Hz - 35 kHz
  • S/N ratio: 90dB
  • Dimensions: 11.5"W x 2.3"H x 17"L
  • I am quite new to this and would like any help possible.

Thanks for replying so far

forbidden 
    Platinum - Posts: 5,352
    Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
    Posted: November 02, 2003 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
    The only way this amp will make 2x400 w rms is if it gets struck by lightning going downhill getting chased by your grilfriends dad. Being on a limited budget means that you do have a lot of options to look at. Some brands however realize this, play the wattage rating game and take advantage of those who don't know better. I'm sure it's a great amp for your limited budget, do not hook the amp up into 2 ohm mono, damage will definetly occur. Maybe some of the higher end Lanzar amps are designed and engineered to operate at 2 ohms mono for prolonged use, but like most companies entry level amps are disigned and engineered to do entry level jobs. No offence intended. To see more of the wattage rating game look at Kenwood, Pioneer, Soundstorm (stretch daddy 2000 watts with a 30 amp fuse - right, now that's a stretch) (and I'm a dealer) and my personal favorite (not) Sony. You may get a better idea of how many claims manufacturers actually make about wattage and how you perceive it.
    Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
    flatulatta 
    Silver - Posts: 356
    Silver spacespace
    Posted: November 02, 2003 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
    if ur on a tight budget as i was go with jbl ive had it for a good 2-3mnths now and it works wonders i got a 600w for 220 its 2ohm optimized and 1ohm stable if that would even be an option to sell that amp and buy this one trust me ppl talk sh*t to me about my amp till i crank it and my trunk wants to blow off its really a good amp

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
    This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic