here's one for you, 2 JL Audio 12w6v2 wire diagram
vc1+                               vc1+
vc1-                               vc1-
vc2+                               vc2+
vc2-                               vc2-
main +                             main +
main -                             main -
^one sub                           ^one sub
from factory these subs are in 2 ohm each, wired in parrallel that is vc1+ to vc2+, vc1- to vc2-, wired to the amp in parrallel from the mains this results in 1 ohm from the amp, correct? My question for you is how to ulilize the 2 ohms on the subs (wired from the mains) in series to acheive 4 ohms from the amp. the amp is a JL Audio 500/1 with 2 pos. and 2 neg. connections in parrallel. Oh and Forbidden this is why they were popping I do believe the amp was sending 1 ohm.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

From the JL Audio website, tutorial section:

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel

Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers: 6 Ohms
Dual-4 Ohm Subwoofer: 4 Ohms
Dual-2 Ohm Subwoofer: 2 Ohms

Good one for anyone? parrallel or series - Last Post -- posted image.

dcgc 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
this is not helpful at all!
dcgc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
the diagram above if noticed only has 4 connections the 12w6v2 has four at the voice coils and two mains total of 6
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

The 12W6v2 is a dual voice coil @ 4 ohm loudspeaker and is connected exactly as shown in the connection diagram above.  HERE is the JL technical specifications document for this driver.  See page 3 of this document so you can learn what the connectors are used for.

Cheers.

dcgc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
I know about the tech specs and I know what the connections are for but the diagram is NOT exactly as the drivers are, the diagram IS like the W3's but NOT like the W6's. still I have no answer to my original question. How do I configure the 2 drivers at 2ohm each to a 4ohm amp?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2003 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

Ok dude here you go.

First you must use the main input terminals on each speaker. Follow me here I'll try not to lose u.

(1) wire each speaker in series. Look at one sub only. You will see in this order

vc1 - / vc1 + / vc1 +      vc2 - / vc2 - / vc2 +      This is what it should look like.

a     /   b      /  c              d     /   e    /   f              Is how I want you to picture it.

(2) wire f to a on this sub, this makes the sub an 8 ohm driver.

(3) run a positive speaker lead to the amp from b

(4) run a negative speaker lead to the amp from e

(5) repeat steps 2,3,4 for the other speaker

(6) you should now have a total of 4 speaker wires at the amp, hook the 2 poitive leads together and then hook the 2 negative leads together.

(7) This should give you a 4 ohm mono load.

There are other methods to get the same results, let's keep it this way for now.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
dcgc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2003 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
thanks forbidden thats pretty much the way I have it the only thing that is different is that b and e on above diagram (I assume) are the mains.
      main +               main -
vc1-/vc1+/vc1+        vc2-/vc2-/vc2+
      A                      E
b / c / d              f / g / h
c and g are not used I do have b to h and A and E to amp,(each sub). thanks
dcgc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2003 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
Wait a minute if these drivers are 4 ohm only then why does the factory configure them in 2 ohm. Should'nt they be able to be wired to the amp so that the amp sends 4 ohm. what if I had b to f, d to g on both drivers and had A from driver AA to E on driver BB and had E from driver AA to neg. on amp and A from driver BB to pos. on amp. What ohms and is this safe?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic