2 x Rockford amps and capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audioinnovation 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

Hi there,

Basically the setup will consist of 2 rockford amps, one 415s (2 channel) to drive 2 x DVC 12" subs, one 551X (4channel) to drive 2 sets of components! the subs are 2 Ohm DVC hence I should get maxium power from the 425s amp which is 225 RMS @ 2 Ohms as for the components they will run at 4 Ohms the tricky bit for me is the power wiring as far as my understanding goes I need a single 0 Guage power wire from the battery to a 2 Farad powercap, then from the power cap I run 2 x 4 guage power cables both with an inline fuse to each relevent amp.  does that sound right? do I need a distribution block at any stage? can I add one for show? is there any problem with grounding all of these i.e powercap amps etc on the same point?

All help advice appreciated!

Many thanks

GSRrR 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  

how are you wiring the subs up? if you run them in parallel you will get an 1 ohm

2 x Rockford amps and capacitor? -- posted image.

if you wire them up in a series you will get 4ohms

i do not think you are putting enough power to require 0 gage wire and a 2 farad cap

audioinnovation 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 8:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hmm I am a little puzzled I saw a similar diagram on Rockford site but with 2 DVC subs in paralell showing 2  Ohms? as shown below

I suppose 2-4 Guage power will be enough then?

I thought the rule to powercap was 500Watts per Farad I will have a total of approx 1800Watts

bfog99 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  

I couldn't find any info on you amp, the 415S, but I did see a 451S. Was that a typo? If your amp really is the 451S, you only need 8 gauge according to crutchfield. Also, how were you planning to run the subs? It is only 4 ohm stable bridged.

You can run (2) DVC 2 ohm speakers for a 2 ohm total load, you are right.
The general rule of thumb is 1000 watts per farad, but I think that is based on RMS, not peak.
As far as a distribution block goes, you can definately add one in if you want. That is what you were basically doing with the cap anyways. You were going to have 1 line come in and 2 come out.

GSRrR 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2003 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
audioinnovation wrote:

Hmm I am a little puzzled I saw a similar diagram on Rockford site but with 2 DVC subs in paralell showing 2  Ohms? as shown below

I suppose 2-4 Guage power will be enough then?

I thought the rule to powercap was 500Watts per Farad I will have a total of approx 1800Watts

i see what you did now.  i did not know that people like to bridge their 2 ch amps to power 2 subs.  my set up is 1 ch to 1 sub in a series which is 8 ohms.  i guess i am not giving the subs enough power?  i do not know much about audio and this was the way the salesperson told me to wire it up.  if i were to copy your setup with my 4ohm dvcs, it would be much louder?  any disadvantage in running 4 ohms to 8?

geolemon 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

With two dual 2-ohm VC subwoofers, you could do a few things:

• Wire each sub in series for two 4 ohm subs, wiring them together in parallel for a single resulting 2 ohm load
  • Wire each sub in series for two 4 ohm subs, wiring each 4 ohm sub to one channel of the amp (two 4 ohm loads)
  • Wire each sub in series for two 4 ohm subs, wiring them together in series for a single resulting 8 ohm load

If you had a single channel class D amp, you would not have a problem as most class D mono amps are 2 ohm stable - making max power into 2 ohms.

Unfortunately, you have a 2 channel amp, which is likely 2 ohm stable.

It's 2 ohm stability means also that it's only 4 ohm stable when bridged (because internally the amp rail voltage doubles when you bridge the amp).

With a 2 channel, 2 ohm stable amp, maximum output power is given at either 2 ohms stereo, or 4 ohms bridged.

Unfortunately, you can only wire to 4 ohms stereo (where the amp will be making approximately half the power it is capable of), or 2 ohms mono (where the amp is not stable, could overheat, go into protection, or worse).
Alternatively, you could wire for the third option, bridging the amp and running it at 8 ohms mono - but again, the amp is only making half the power that you paid for.  2 x Rockford amps and capacitor? -- posted image.

If you haven't gotten the sub amp yet - I would reconsider your options, because this option will cost you nearly two times the $$$ to get the same power you could otherwise supply to your subs.

The most cost-effective route would be to purchase a 2 ohm stable mono amp - and additional benefits would be significant electrical efficiency.
If the amp line you are shopping in doesn't offer one, I'd explore the possibility of purchasing a 4 channel amp that provides the power you are desiring when bridged from 4 channels to 2 - you have two 4 ohm loads, after all - this would also yield maximum power to your subs, at a lower price point.  2 x Rockford amps and capacitor? -- posted image.
The only downsides to the 4 channel amp approach is that it would be a class A/B amp, which generally is a more expensive topology than class D amps, and they are inherently less efficient, electrically speaking.

If you already have the amps and subs, you could explore the future possibility of upgrading the amp...

Or else upgrading the subs to a single, larger cone dual 2 ohm voice coil unit, or to two dual 4 ohm voice coil subs, which would allow you to present the full power of your amplifier to them.

If you don't want to upgrade either, you still have options -

After all, it takes a 4x increase in power to effect a 2x increase in output (6dB)... dramatic power increases for less dramatic output increases... not to mention it's not even that good, there are other inefficiencies at play ... but anyway...
Following Hoffman's Iron Law, you could build the enclosure larger and/or port it to a higher tuning frequency to get much higher efficiency out of the subwoofer system.  It's very possible to reach the mechanical and acoustical output limits of a subwoofer driver with wattage that is far below the driver's thermal powerhandling ratings.

Good luck!

geolemon 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  

I almost forgot to mention...

I am not sure how much less power you are delivering to the subs than they are thermally rated for, but since you have dual voice coil subs, you have another very interesting possibility presented before you... and it would get you the impedance you need to get your amp to deliver it's maximum power to the sub.

The technique is called Resistively Damped Operation...

Basically, you only wire up one voice coil of the sub to the amp, that's all that will be driving the sub (so that one voice coil needs to be able to handle the power you are sending to it, thermally... the power from your amp shouldn't exceed 1/2 of the subwoofer's RMS thermal rating).

The other voice coil will have a resistor, or a potentiometer wired across it... that's all!

In doing this, you can vary the resistance, by turning the potentiometer, across the "empty" coil....

Just like nearly any other electromagnetic motor, it can also be used as a generator in reverse... with a resistance across the coil, and the other voice coil sending the empty coil oscillating through the magnetic gap, the empty voice coil will generate EMF, the potentiometer presents a load, and therefore current will be dissipated across it.
This current flow presents a resistance against the subwoofer's actual operation, changing it's Qtc.

The end result? 

You can vary the Q of the driver/enclosure by turning the potentiometers, customizing the sound of the subwoofer.  A pretty slick thing, and you just happen to have an installation where this might be feasilble.  2 x Rockford amps and capacitor? -- posted image.

Here's a paper from the guys at Adire on the subject if you want to learn more:

http://www.adireaudio.com/tech_papers/rdo_operation.htm

Ketel22 
Silver - Posts: 976
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
with that set up a 4ga main wire should suffice, a 2ga would probally be reccomended. as far as the caps and distro blocks thats all up to you.
Quad L Handyman services
audioinnovation 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  

Okay after reading all reccomendations I am a little confused :-(

Using the  451X 2 channel amp 225RMS @ 2 Ohms, running 2 x RFP4110 subs (2x2Ohm DVC 400RMS ) wired in paralell as shown in previous diagram I dont need to bridge do I? doesnt each sub run of each channel?

Am I right in thinking that the above setup will run at 2 Ohms hence I will be delivering each sub with 225RMS if not which would be the optimum setup?

as far as a powercap scenario I will have 2 amps running in total so if I install 1 powercap 4 guage in can I run 2 x 8 guage to respective amp i.e 415s and another similar amp, if I can do this then I pressume the capacitor acts as a distribution block?

if I still want to include a distribtion block I suppose I would run a 4 guage from the power cap to the block then then my 2 x 8 guages from power block to amps

is it okay to use same groud point for amps and powercap etc?

Cheers

audioinnovation 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2003 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  

Okay I have just been look on the rockford website they do a 501Bd single channel amp, 500W RMS @ 2ohm how would I wire 2 x 2Ohm DVC subs to the amp?

Cheers 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic