Weird relay problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
briandors 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

1995 Cutlass Supreme.

DEI 551R, whose parking light output is negative.  Thus the Relay to switch polarity.  Do I "also" have the parking lights hooked up to this?  Parking lights are what the light output is used for.  There is no way to switch the polarity of the output on this model, thus the need for the relay.

Since my last post, the DEI 551R has suffered another internal failure.  The voltage sensing feature has gone awry (please don't tell me i should be using tach sensing anyway, i've been through that discussion).  I had to completely switch off the feature that ensures your car has started because it would start and then shut off 10 seconds later.  I did try the "low voltage sensitivity" setting and that wasn't good enough either.

Impedance: the relay was connected when I measured 6mA.  The relay was verified to work using a simple test wire and 12V source.  The relay would be happy to use much more than 6mA, the 551R is not up to it.

I full expect this brain is going to completely die anytime now.  Lasted about 2 years... not all that great quality.

Thanks.

bigmike022 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 4:08 PM / IP Logged  
i have been connecting keyless entry and illuminated entry with relays to my 91 mercury grand marquis. i have a bulldog 5002 pro alarm. i guess im not getting enough negative power from some of the wires coming from the brain because it wont switch the relay. when i touch the wire from the relay to ground on the frame they all work fine. the alarm has been sitting for about 2-3 years, could this have caused the problems. i just recently decided to install it and have had so many problems im thinking about buying a new system. can anyone help
briandors 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2003 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  

Just wanted to let everyone know... the voltage sense stopped working not because the 551R was dying, but because my alternator was.  About 3 weeks after the voltage sense feature started shutting down my car after a remote start, the alt went totally dead.

I thought this info would be helpful to some of you installers if you run across something weird.

Brian

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2003 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
Brian,
So have you returned the unit since we last spoke?
briandors 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2003 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  

No, I'm not interested in being without my remote start in the dead of winter.  Voltage sense is now working, lights work off that extra output..... good enough.

Brian

superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 29, 2003 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  
if you're still not getting the negative trigger for your relay, and you are sure all connections are correct, it's most likely the op amp inside the alarm that is dead.  usually this is a simple fix - often it will be either the biggest transistor and easy to locate, or it will be a chip and will require a little more expierence with desoldering.  if it's a discreet transistor, you can often put a small heat sink on it to prevent further problems.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic