icon

Car Problem, 1995 Buick Century

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tml1220 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2003 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  

I have a problem with my car. It is intermittent. The problem: Sometimes when I turn the ignition switch on the headlights, tailights and brakelights won't work, the power locks won't work, and the radio looses all of its pre-programmed stations and the clock is reset to 12:00. When i get into it (before turning the ignition switch) I can tell everything is going to work or not by testing the power locks. Everything else runs fine on the car.

The battery and alternator tested out ok. I checked all of the fuses in the fuse box and they are ok.
Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for a 1995 Buick Century V-6. I have already went to autozone.com and downloaded their wiring diagrams BUT they don't show the power locks, the headlights, or the brake/tail lights. Or does anyone has any suggestions.
Thanks,
T

Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have access to any wiring schematics, via direct tech or autostart?  I could probably get you the wiring info on the doorlocks but that probably isn't going to help you in the slightest with everything else, it sounds like you have a bad connection somewhere near you battery, but has nothing to do with the battery or the alternator because they are in conjunction with each other than the powerflow goes into the main harness into your fusebox.  Check in your engine bay, cause it sounds like its cutting everything out.  If you have any problems or questions I'll be glad to help
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2003 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
T, its me again, found out the wires for the doorlocks for you, light blue is lock and white is unlock, should be able to find these wires in the drivers kick.
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  
Just a heads up, GM vehicles used to have whats called a fuseable link, this looks like a piece of wire with heat shrink on it. It acts like a fuse and is supposed to blow with too much current. Try looking for one and measure voltage on both sides. Also try taking a razor knife and cutting the shielding right after the battery connections, you might have enough corrosion in your cables to cause intermintant power failures. Iv'e seen your situation many times due to corrosion.
HotRod53F100 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2003 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
I think that your may be digging too deep....loss of radio station program indicates total loss of battery power. Are you sure that you don't have something as simple as a bad terminal on your battery or from the battery to ground? The molded terminals can corrode or break inside and you will never know it. It sure sounds to me like you are intermittantly losing total power, not just certain circuits. Maybe even the connector on the back of the fuse box where it comes through the firewall (not sure if '89 had that). I rebuilt a total once and there was a connector with a center screw that held the whole works in. I would think that a fusable link would be good or bad, not intermittant. Good Luck!
tml1220 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

I found it.  It was a bad fusible link, wire came out of the connector.   Everything works now.

I also have a problem with the front door power windows.   they go down but not up.   They will go up eventually BUT it takes hours.  For example if you hit the up window button it will go up about 1/2 in.  Then about 10 minutes later it will go up about another 1/2 inch.    Both front windows act this way.    BUT the rear door windows work fine.  Should I replace the motors or do you think it is something else.  

Thanks

Tim

tuneman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  

Hey right on, glad you found it. As far as your windows, before replacing the motors, try buying some dry silicone spray ( its in a spray can, usually found at an autoparts store). The reason for using dry silicone is that using WD40 or some other lubricant will attract dirt and dust and gunk up your problem again.   Take your door panels off and spray the window tracts with the dry silicone and keep working it with the windows up and down. 99.99% of the time this is the problem.

Good luck Tim,

Mark

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic