icon

Amp opinions and info

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Can anyone give me there opinions and information about amps from the following companies:  Orion, Diamond Audio ( both  the D7 and D5 series) and Xtant.  Opinions about these amps, comparisons, and other suggestions would be appreciated.  I am going to buy a 4 and 2 channel amp, each from the same company.  The 4 needs to be 4X75 to 4x100 watts rms @ 2 ohms.  And the 2 channel needs to be 500 to 600 watts rms x 2 @ 2 ohms
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
You would be better off using a Mono amp for the subs. Class D's are usually cheaper per watt then Class AB's (even with the high end amps you mentioned).
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
First of all, I am not an installer, so I haven't had the luxury of hearing dozens of different amps.  With that said, my opinions are based on what I have heard and what the specs look like.  Also, you really should try to go to a stereo shop and listen to those amps.  But, if you are hellbent on those three companies, and both amps must be from the same company, and you want the 4 channel and the two channel, Xtant is out.  Xtant makes a great 4 channel amp that would be appropriate for your needs, but they do not make a two channel amp in that range of power or even close.  They do make a mono amp that will put out the amount of power you are looking for, but not a two channel.  So, that leaves Diamond Audio and Orion.  I have heard the D7 amps, and personally I think they are wonderful.  My friends runs one of the D7 amps to his Diamond components and they sound amazing.  I haven't heard Orion in many years, so I'm not too sure how they're sounding these days, but I have heard good things.  I would go with the Diamond audio D7402 and the Diamond Audio D7104 if money was not an issue. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  

Orion is a good amp for SPL, But if your looking for SQ go with the Diamond or Xtant. Between the Diamond and the Xtant I would defiantly go with the Diamond for the best over all sound .Now it sounds to me from past posts that you’re looking for a good sq system that can make some serious sounds if needed. About a year back I my self decided to with Diamond Audio to power my system. I used to constantly change out equipment, cause I always felt I could get better sound, I have a D7104 and a D7402 (used to use (2) D7401's then went to the D7402) and it’s the first set of amps that I have been satisfied with. If you want the ultimate in sound and can afford it go with Diamond. From the specs you gave above I would go with the D7104 and a D5 1200.1 (wire your subs in parallel for a 1 ohm load)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic