icon

how to butcher an install 101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
looked at an inop remote start today... the previous installer used scotch locks and cut thru several wires leaving two or three strands of wire to conduct. when i took the wires off the wires came right out of the crimps. i am sick of bad installs and just needed to vent thanks for listening. oh and one more thing he cut the transponder chip out of the key and glued it to the pats ring in the car great job... i hope it was not some one who belongs to this sight. again thanks for listening
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2003 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
LMAO... Well, if I told you all the things I had to endure ( see ) in de-installing alarm systems.
M-hahahahahaha... You wouldn't even believe me. how to butcher an install 101 -- posted image. Trust me, for every one good installation in a system that passed through our facility, there are 20 bad one's passing right by it on the line...
Worry not... You will see more !!!
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2004 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  
omg - what's worse is taking over another companys responsibility for the previous installers... sheesh - it seemed we had a never ending line of returns from some installer named "mickey D" who could find amazing ways of butchering cars that nobody else had ever thought of.  scotch locks were his calling card (that's what made me laugh when i read this).  it's like it would have killed the guy to use a crimp cap or a good butt connector.  a lot of my favorites are the kind you described - where someone disables/bypasses the cars origional equipemnt so now it doesn't work the way it is supposed to (but usually the customer is none the wiser - which is why the installer got away with it in the first place).  those are the ones who make everyone else in the industry look bad (like the mechanics who put new head gaskets on when you had a bad plug wire).
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
here is my next gripe... mechanics that think they can do my job. "oh that is easy i have all the diagrams any body can do that" yep that is why it overcranks like a mother and the heat does not blow until you put the key in. oh wait that is if they are lucky enough to figure out how to get that GM car with pass lock II to actually start for more than three seconds. ha ha
     p.s. to everybody who thinks it is easy thanks alot i charge double for the techs who "thought" it was easy i love you guys
white caddy 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
     misterjimbo,
    i agre, i love to here "i could do it but i would rather let you do it" ya rite, pay me three times (or more) than what the product itself cost because they want me to make a little money. mechanics can't eaven put an alarm in valet, so they do what? cut the wires to the siren and burn out the siren output. they cut both wires at once (stupid) then the customer comes to the shop and says, i don't know what happend- it just stoped working! till you find the problem and then the customer says how to butcher an install 101 -- posted image. oh!yah! it was at the shop.
      whats so hard about pulling the fuses (worst case) but no, i guess it's more easy to chop-chop-chop.
d.s.
atwageman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
i worked with a MORON one time that thought soldering ment biger the blob better the job.  i don't know what the boss was smoking when he hired him.  the moron also used acid core solder one time or more.  bastard
beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2004 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  

You know I was thinking if some tv net work wants a funny ass reality show, just come out to one of our shops one day. You thought American choppers was funny, wait till they see American installer. LOL

The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2004 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
Had an expert walk into my shop the other day, the remote starter wouldn't keep running, to low tach signal.  He wanted some diode so he hook into the spark plug wires to get a stronger signal.  20,000 + volts is a little stronger signal, but hooking it up to tach input and bringing it under the dash dosen't sound like a bright idea.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
That's hillarious!
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2004 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  

Well in every field is a weak link...the hacks of installer are the weak links in this field. All I can say is don't become one. And some shops think once a hack always a hack...sometimes its true sometime they improve...

~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic