icon

how to butcher an install 101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
atwageman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2004 at 3:03 AM / IP Logged  
I gots to know.  Did you give the guy the diode?  I generally don't like seeing people to stupid sH-t, but sometimes letting them make a costly mistake or two or three (hard learner) teaches their dumb a$$ a valuable lesson.
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2004 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
No, didn't give him the diodes, the only ones that I had instock that could handle the voltage were the size of grape fruit.  He fiqured they would fit under the hood very well. 
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2004 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
i am proud to say that i found a new job and work with a group of great guys. we shout stories of the best butcher jobs we have seen as we jam out cars. just like to say i found several wire nuts under the hood of a caprice the other day... that is too bad to call a butcher can nay one think of a name?
Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2004 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  

Usually you can tell in a shop when a hack has been weeded out or fired, because after a certain number of months that pass you don't get anymore warranty jobs that come in!  Hacks are becoming extinct, due to the fact they can't "hack" it with the new vehicles every company is coming out with.  The best installers I have seen so far besides half the stories you guys have said, which are so true, are the guys that use about 75 to 80 tiestraps to install a remote starter.  Geez, didn't know the remote starter needed that many to keep it in the vehicle.

Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2004 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Similar story except with a sat radio.  A customer came in complaining that they were getting poor sat reception after having it installed at another best buy.  She then went on to explain that the antenna was mounted to the dashboard inside the vehicle because the installer told her it would not work on the roof of the vehicle because she has a small (four inch high factory) luggage rack.  Yeah putting it inside the car will definately not block the signal as much.
fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
haha gotta love the hacks. I had this kid come into my shop wanting us to "finish up" the install of an amp, sub, and speakers he did on his not-so-happy girlfriend's 97 cavilar for her birthday present. As many of you know those cavilar's are the ones where you have to pull the entire dash off to get at the radio. The kid decided pulling at the surround around the radio until it broke off  was a better idea. He used the wires that you wire a house with for power switched and ground (hey its got all the wires all in one what a deal!!!!) for his 2000 watt legacy amp (what a great amp and 2000 watts out of a 1' by 1' amp how do they do it!?!?!?!?). I dont know how he mannaged this but some how got the power cables to run under his center console across the carpet then under the back seat  to the amp. He cut out the grills in the front doors with, from the looks of it, somehting along the lines of a chainsaw then screwed the new speakers to the doorpanels. For the back speakers he just disconnected the rear ones and screwed the new ones up under the back deck next to the existing ones (dunno how he was expecting any sound through the metal). He then decided to ground the amp to the trunk lid arm. He also tried to install a line leve converter behind the radio but in the process cut the rear speaker leads....at the harness. When he came in he wanted us to fix the harness because he wanted to keep the stock deck an "clean up" the rest of it. He offered us 20 bucks hahaha.....we sent him on his way, way too much of a liability there.
Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

fbird!   hey stop cutting up my premium install.....lol.   that is probably by far one of the worst user instals i've ever heard of.... yer the man. 

P.S: i didn't install that system.... :)

atwageman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
fbird.  I would say the gene pool needs some chlorine!   I can somewhat relate to the nightmare you saw.  I have some high tech rednecks on my wife's side of the family.    They came to me wanting some fly by night alarm installed with remote start, the whole works installed in a dodge avenger.  I gave them a price and they declined. Yes I charge my own family, becuase sometimes family can be your worst nightmare.  Anyways they installed it themselves.  After they installed it, they called me up to brag about it and invited me over to see their amazing feat of enginerering.  They invited me before they even tested it to make sure it worked before bragging.  As soon as I walked up to the car they said they didn't need some high dollar install man to wire up the alarm.  The jackass them hits the remote start button and immediatly BOTH air bags luanch!!!!  I'm still trying to figure how in the hell they managed to do that.  Anyways the dodge dealership burnt them a new a***ole in the pocket book to have the car repaired. 
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2004 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
airbags on demand. Thats awsome.
fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
haha omg that airbag install has to top all. i cant even begin to imagine the looks on those guys faces when those bags launched
Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic