icon

how to butcher an install 101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dauber 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2004 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thats probably the best install nightmare story I've ever heard, hooking up airbags, didn't they know that the wires in the yellow sleeve mean "do not connect or I'll deploy"?  Guess not!
Kyle@Audio Obsession Sound
atwageman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
The idiots I think had the idea that was where they would find the colors they needed.  The expression on their faces was like the apostles had when Jesus appeared to them after the resurecstion!  They sure did see the light!
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  

the success of the product relies on the quality of the installation.  alarms and remote starts are a chance to do something than the same old deck and speaker installs.  installers should take the time to make each install unique and use it as a chance to improve on the last one.  if you feel you have to pound out one install to start another one... then maybe you should work the schedule book a little better.  even for the best installers, a remote start on most newer vehicles should take 2-3 hours.  sure there are some that can be like 1 to 1.5 hrs like a 99+ silverado, but anything under 2 hours raises some concerns.  take your time, do it right.  having a customer come back for warranty work hurts in numerous ways.  you lose time for new customers, the labor is free, you already did the job once, and it only takes one bad experience for a customer to bad mouth your shop.

MECP certified installer
sroth140 
Silver - Posts: 513
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
and just for the hell of it to mention, we had an alarm install come in where the siren was screwed into the exhaust sheild.  sweet...
MECP certified installer
Clean Install 
Silver - Posts: 446
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2004 at 3:44 AM / IP Logged  

A friend ran his power cable up through the floor board of his car...just drilled a hole and presto you can see the ground while, looking down in the car

how to butcher an install 101 - Page 3 -- posted image. idoits

and just a couple days a go friend wanted me to take out his old HU that a guy installed for him and replace it with a new one, well I ended up rewiring the entire system...(high schooler trying to learn) how to butcher an install 101 - Page 3 -- posted image.,  oh all the wiring at the harness had barewires at the butt connectors and the rca's, power, and the harness (newer sable) were all ran over the backseats bar,

I wonder after he installed it, if he thought to himself thats the best looking install I have done SO FAR...

If we learn from each success and
each failure, then we can improve ourselves
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  

I just got done an install in a 92 integra, when it came in to me he hade 4 gauge wire running over his carpet to the back of the car, under the hood he obviously had no connectors so he just took a washer, striped the wire back and kinda shoved it inbetween the washer and the batery and tightened it. He had a nice fuse holder that had no fuse but instead ROLLED UP TINFOIL in place of a fuse. That was cool. Then everything else was somewhat normal for this type of vehicle. All wires over top of carpet, neon hanging everywhere, all hooked up improperly and the deck was wired in all wrong. They thought the deck was defective because the speakers didnt all work and the ones that did sounded like sh*t. He didnt even connect all the speaker leads in the car, he had the dimmer wire hooked up as a speaker wire and a few other wres hooked up which I cant even figure out where they came from or what they did but according to him they were speaker wires. Amzing enough when I wired up the deck properly it worked fine, I wasnt even installing that deck, he had bought another one from my store I was suposed to be putting, I just reinstalled the other one because he was so damn sure it was messed up  I had to prove him wrong. The look on his face was worth the extra work.

shawn62 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
ha all this stuff is so funny how to butcher an install 101 - Page 3 -- posted image., I really like the one with the airbags going off.
flatulatta 
Silver - Posts: 356
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2004 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
does anyone know how they did that??? i would love to now how i got a few enemys that id like to mess w/wire my own remote to there car : )
atwageman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  

In regards to the airbags.  Their mindset was that there is where they would find all the wires they needed.  To them it looked like it contained the wiring for the factory start, windows, etc.   A wire bundle to them wrapped up in bright color tape, must be where the alarm stuff, etc is at.  One of the morons by the way is color blind!

I wish I would have taken my video camera with me, so I could show it to people who think they know it all.

atwageman 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2004 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  
I would agree with a previous post.  There needs to be a show on TV called American Installer!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic