icon

how to butcher an install 101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
first i want to say thanks to all you guys for posting in here, makes me feel good to vent! love my new job but it is funny. My typical install includes the following...   a radio four subs two amps four 6x9's and some new wire... okay a lot of new wire. i seem to get all of the "i tried i failed and now i need it fixed jobs"
the radio wires are all twisted together without tape and the ign and constant are going to the battery yes under the hood. the 6x9's are all going in the rear deck lid oh yeah and four tweeters on the b pillar pointed at the drivers ear.the power wire is where? going through the drivers door of course because going through a grommet in the firewall would be too hard. there is always one problem the hood latch is always broken. so a screwdriver and a hammer and i now have that solved. all that is left is the 4 subs, but of course the trunk lock cylander is blown out ant the trunk pop doesnt work . thatis always fun. so now that the install is done how do we get the car started? there is no ignition key and half of the steering column is missing so now it is time to get the customer... he brings a friend with him to help start the car because it is a two man operation with one man under the hood and another in the passenger seat? confussed yet? i am. this is the truth i work on about 1 or two of these cars everyweek. but i love it it makes me laugh.
KaMLuNg 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2004 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
^^^^^^^ ??? i am veryvery confused!!!
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 01, 2004 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
So this is what I'm going to have to expect when I start working in this business? And I thought the computer business (which I'm currently in) was bad. Funny how people are more brave enough to cut a hole in a door panel but when it comes to installing software they "don't want to mess anything up".   
That's why I love this forum. From just reading you can learn from other peoplpes mistakes. When I first started doing stereo installs, I used to use crimp connectors and lots of electrical tape. I kinda like the fact you can make a set of wires look like a factory wire harness with some good 3m electrical tape. But the last time I installed a radio, in my own vehicle, i didn't have any crimps left. But I had a good soldering iron, a good wire stripper, 3 new rolls of tape, and plenty of solder. So now that's the way I do it. No need for connectors-solder is cheaper and lasts longer.
I've learned alot from reading the posts in this forum and from what I've read it's better to be safe than sorry. And in this business being safe gives you a better reputation.
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   how to butcher an install 101 - Page 4 -- posted image.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 05, 2004 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

damn straight...... i got some bozo who shows up twice a week with this Hack install trying to get me to fix something for him.....  Get this:     90 Plymouth Acclaim,  two 15's, two 10's, two 8's,  3x 1000bd's,  factory speakers, guy pulls 145's in this peice.....  Anyway, 1g. through the door frame, 'aftermarket' speaker wires running directly twoards the speakers, as in over the center console,  constant and switched both running to the battery (8g.) through the firewall (i dont know why this guy couldn't put the 1g. through there).  Three batteries with an isolator from the front, and the rear two batteries hooked up in parrallel (ya 24v).  The 1g. goes to a distribution block that serves 10g. to his amps....grin.   I repeatedly have to tell this guy to go away cause his car might catch on fire in my shop.   He is the villiage idiot, all the install bays know his name and we all do impressions when were out afterhours.  Anyway, DON'T BE THIS GUY.  

P.S:  Nice one on the airbags.

fbird08 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2004 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  

Wow 6 subs all different sizes. Sweet "custom" install. Just one thing, 2 12V batteries hooked up in parrallel still have an output of 12V unless  of course you ment in series but anyw ays definately a good idea on not being that guy. 

Money is just paper
Power is fleeting
But your word is everything,
If your word means nothing,
You are nothing...think about it
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

Guy I work with asked if I had a piece of equipment that he could borrow so he could install some 6x9s in the rear deck of his car.

What did he ask to borrow?

Oxygen Acetylene cutting torch.

I don't have a portable one.. but I'd love to watch this.

Jim

atwageman 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to see that too.
Al Capone's business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
evolutionoftym 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  
well.....I had a kid one time who had a brand new '03 Civic that the kid was sure he could do a deck and amp sub ......know we all know how to drop the panel and remove the 2 8mm bolts.......well he didn't......and took a knife and a huge flat head screw driver to the dash to get it out......he got it out and blew out half the fuses in his fusebox......oh and he ran his power wire through the front driver side window.......I really wish I took some pictures....it looked like someone raped the dash, but anyway that's one of the worst hacks I've seen 
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2004 at 2:47 AM / IP Logged  

I'll add mine:

To many to remember working in Virginia Beach.....but one stands out in particular:

it was an early '90s honda of some type...civic if I remember right.

all primer grey except the fiberglass hood and the white Acura frontend....that hardly even fit properly.....some kind of conversion!? Anyways...typical hack job install, I think some of these guys did some knifing action as well.

The most memorable was the entire roof was cut out....appearantly with a sawzall....into a large rectangle. To keep the rain out...they affixed a huge piece of thick plexi-glass overlapping the jaggedly cut edges and fastened it with bolts!

This thing had guages, wires...all kinds of crap hanging out from the dash, four different rims......typical hacks......but the roof! That had us laughing for a good while!

The HU wouldn't even light-up after the power wires were fixed......the speakers were still not wired properly...since these kids lied and said it was ONLY one speaker not working...we sent them on thier way before the rest of the car fell apart!

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic