icon

Subwoofer Wiring Diagram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

alright well another question for you then.......i just got my HE2......with a 1500 wat amp......the HE2 is rated 800 watts max, and is 4 ohms......what would be the best way to wire this sub to my amp without frying my sub or amp.......               ok lets put it like this.....what would be the best way to wire it period?

EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
First of all.  Always remember that when you see the word MAX written on a sub or an amp, that is not a correct number to go by.  Your He2 sub can handle 100-400 watts rms.  Rms is what you are looking for.  Rms is the amount of power a sub can handle continuously and it is also the amount of power an amp can put out continuously, depending on what voltage that rms rating was measured.  But, to answer your question, the He2 is a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub.  This means you can wire it up two different ways.  You can wire it in parallel and get a 2 ohm load, or you can wire it in series and get an 8 ohm load.  Those are your only two choices with one dual 4 ohm voice coil sub.  If you have more than one, the above information changes.  Now, a very important point to look at is your amp.  Probably nobody on this forum can tell you what the absolute best way to wire your subs is without knowing what kind of amp you have.  You said it was a 1500 watt amp, but you need to be more specific with the brand and model number. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
sorry my bad.......its the rockford 1500 watt.......501x
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
Your amp is 4 channel, which makes this situation a little bit difficult.  I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but that amp is not a great match for that sub.  There is really no way that I know of (hopefully someone will prove me wrong) that you can get the amp's full potential in this setup.  I think the best thing you can do is wire the sub in series, giving it an 8 ohm load.  Then, bridge it at the amp so your are running 8 ohms bridged. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo00000000000000000................i dont want an 8 ohm load...........alright what if i had another he2?????.....would there be any way to bring it to 4 or to 2 ohms???

EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yes. If you bought another HE2, then you could wire the subs in a parallel/series configuration for a 4 ohm load.  Then you could bridge it at the amp for 4 ohms bridged, which would give you as much power out of that amp as you're gonna get.  Actually, you are probably going to get as much power as you should to power those speakers.  If you don't want to get another sub, you could get a new amp, either a mono that is stable at 2 ohms (which most are), or a two-channel that is stable at 2 ohms.  I would go with the mono amp route if you were going to get a new amp.  If not, get another sub, problem fixed. 
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  

noww.....if i were to switch my amp and get the 2 channel(501S)........what would be the best i could do with one sub..........

and if i switched to the 2 channel(501S)...........and had two subs, what would i be able to do then???.......

alright.........in between these last two posts i wired my sub up to the 501X......i bridged it at the amp, then i ran the positive to the first positive VC then from there to the other positive VC.......and the same for the negative side.......(sorry i dunno what thats called)......so how much resistance is my amp seeing.......is this the 8 ohm load you were speaking of earlier????

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have wired the sub to a 2ohm load. Yes your amp may play it, but it is NOT RECOMMENDED. To make a 8 ohm load you must hook the 1st voice coils negative lead to the 2nd voice coils positive lead, this leaves you with two open speaker terminals, one on each voice coil, hook up the positive and neagative from the amp to the corresponding unused terminals on the sub.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

if my amp can handle a 2 ohm load, and so can my sub why wouldnt you reccomend it?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
If this is still the 4channel Rockford amp then your amp was designed and engineered to operate at a 2ohm stereo operation, not a 2ohm mono operation. It will work in 2ohm mono but it is still NOT RECOMMENDED. If you have bridged your amp then in fact it is being run at 2ohm mono on two of the 4 channels.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic