icon

Got rear defroster to work w/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
What's up.....I hooked up my rear defroster to a separate channel on my alarm/remote starter. I went right to the switch, and I just give it a momentary pulse with a relay, and the defroster comes on for a specific amount of time. The only problem is that the car has to be running for it to work (which I guess is a good thing, too).
What I was trying to do, though, was hook up the remote starter and defroster to one channel on the remote, so both would work from 1 button. The problem is like I said, though....it won't turn on the defroster until the car is remotely started. Is there a way to activate the defroster after the car remotely starts?
Goal: Have channel 5 remotely start the car and have channel 6 remotely start the car and turn on the defroster (so I have the option of not having it on everytime I remotely start the car).
Thanks!
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
you can only have it one way. You can't have it both way unless you have a timed output on channel 6. Normally, I would hookup the rear defroster through a relay on the status output or ground out when arming. It will turn on the rear defroster for as long as the vehilce is running. BTW, most remote starter by default it will run around 10 mins, 15 mins, or 20 mins and unless you change it to run it more than default, is it?
Hopefully, this will help. Good luck.
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks 10nesne1.....yea, I think mine is defaulted to about 10 or 15 minutes. I was just trying to avoid having it running everytime I remotely started. Oh well, I guess I can just leave it on it's own channel.
Yea, I was trying to think of a way to use the status output of the RS to only activate the defroster only when I wanted it to...but I guess that can't happen.
Thanks for the response.
atomsite 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  

Too bad you can't AND the defroster with a temp/humidity sensor. Obviously you don't need the defroster on in the summer. Hmm, actually you probably could do this but it would require some work/investigation.

cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
Murph wrote:
Buy a new DEI remote start alarm and defroster is built in.
Ok, well that's not really an option.....but even so.....how does that work? Does it turn it on everytime you remote start....or do you have a choice?
10nesne1 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I read the DEI remote start and defroster is built in. You will need a relay to hookup a relay and program it to latch or pulsed. Latched for 10 mins or plused to 10 mins. It only works one way when vehicle started and in the summer the defroster stay on.
You don't have any choice. But this DEI (Clifford Matrix RSX3.5) alarm starter have a channel 4 output can be programmed to Latch output. This will work on your application.
Hopefully, this will help if you decided to upgrade.
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  

you could hook up the defroster to the so that when the car is started it will run, the you could break the ground when running wire that goes to the defroster with a latched relay that is hooked up to channel 6 so that when you remote start it the defroster will not come on unless you activate channel six, but if you activate channel 6 the defroster wouldn't come on unless the car is started.  It's a little different then you wanted, but you could remote start it without the defroster coming on.

G4uk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hi from sunny Yorkshire UK.

This shouldn't pose a problem for a competent installer, in the past i've used various timers for a wide range of applications.

Look at one of the electronics hobby stores for a delay timer, some of these have various functions such as delayed trigger or variable timed output via pots on the circuit board or build one round one of the many IC timers such as the old faithful 555 this can be configured to do virtually anything.

Good Luck.

G4UK

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

If you do not need to turn off the remote start by the remote once it's started, you can use the same channel you used to activate the remote start to activate the defroster by adding a relay that is activated by the shock sensor bypass output from the remote start. Once the vehicle is started remotely, activating the same channel again will turn on the defroster.

Got rear defroster to work w/remote start -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
Haven't done the rear defroster yet on any of the DEI systems I have installed. But when I do, I will Install a summer/winter switch on the trigger wire for the rear defroster. In the summer, turn it off so the defroster doesn't turn it on. Come winter, turn it back on. Customer will only have to hit the switch twice a year....not a big deal.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic