icon

Got rear defroster to work w/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobiletoys2002 
Gold - Posts: 1,050
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2003 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
good idea,i lik ethe switch but i was thinking of making a temperature module to clik my relay on when needed. actually i tried it today and it worked great .
when it is hot my relay turn on lead is open but when cold it automaticaly closes.Got rear defroster to work w/remote start - Page 2 -- posted image.
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, thanks for all of the replies.....
The defroster option is working great nonetheless. I'm just being lazy by wanting to have it this way.
This morning was a bad one for frost, so I remotely started, waited for it to start, and then hit the next button for the defroster....and when I came out the entire back window was clear. Excellent. I just wish the front defroster worked as fast Got rear defroster to work w/remote start - Page 2 -- posted image.
JWORM - I was thinking of hooking up that type of switch, too, so it would always turn on the rear defroster as long as that switch is on. But even so, there are times when I don't want it to go on, even in the cold. I can just hear my car strain when I put on the rear defroster, so I'm going to only try and use it when needed.
Q: What's the best nation in the world?
A: Donation!     Donate to the12volt.com      
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 7:19 AM / IP Logged  
G4UK - Thanks, maybe I'll look into one of those.
KENMCI - I'm not quite sure I follow.....I think you're missing a word towards the beginning of your post. "you could hook up the defroster to the ____"
the12volt - Well, that's sort of how I have it now....I have the defroster on its own channel. What I'm trying to attempt is to have 1 channel for just the remote starter, and then a 2nd channel for both the remote starter AND the rear defroster.....this way I have the option of starting with or without it.
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  

Hi cpgoose, what I suggested uses only one channel to activate both the remote starter and the defroster and gives you the option of turning the defroster on when you want to. While this doesn't eliminate a step to operate it, it does free up a channel for you to use for something else. You could also add a switch to prevent the coil of the added relay from energizing so you can use the same channel to turn off the remote starter during the warmer months instead of turning on the defroster.

However, if the accessory lead does not show 12V+ until after the vehicle is remotely started, I believe it can be done like you want with as little as three diodes and three relays. Measure the accessory lead to verify that it only shows 12V+ after the vehicle has started remotely and let me know if you are providing a negative or positive pulse to turn on the defroster and I'll try to draw a diagram for you sometime today.

Got rear defroster to work w/remote start - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
cpgoose 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks 12volt, I appreciate it.
I'm not really concerned with the channel, though, because I have a channel expander...so I have extra channels. That's why I was aiming towards using 2 channels, 1 for both, and 1 for just RS. It would sort of be like having the option of the "switch", but on my remote instead :-)
(wahoo....1000+ posts:-)
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
You're welcome. When you get a chance, verify the accessory lead as I described above and let me know if you are using a positive or negative pulse to turn on the defroster.
Got rear defroster to work w/remote start - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic