Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
macka 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

it appears my other post are gone....

so hear goes again.

1.  is it ok to run a wire from my distribution block to my capacitor.  i.e. - it will be treated as if it is another amp wired to the OUT portion of the dist. block.  I have 2 amps and a xover wired to the same block. 

2.  What would be the best way to set up my subs:

AMP- Autotek XS900.2

175 Watts X 2 Channels @ 4 Ohms

350 Watts X 2 Channels @ 2 Ohms
450 Watts X 2 Channels @ 1 Ohm
700 Watts X 1 Channel @ 4 Ohms Bridged
900 Watts X 1 @ 2 Ohms Bridged

SUBS - Kicker SoloBaric (two of them)

S10L5 2ohm DVC, max amp power (watts) 450

Every Day I Do!!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

1. It doesn’t matter if you wire the capacitor before the distro or after. But if you want the benefits of the capacitor on both of your amps then I would wire it before the distro. You will also want the capacitor to be wired within 18 inches of the amp(s) for optimal performance.

2. Since your subs are 2 ohm DVC you will get the most power if you wire each sub in parallel to its own channel 450 Watts X 2 Channels @ 1 Ohm

EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

I don't mean to be a thread "invader", but this is something else I don't understand.  BBerman, you recommended to run his subs in parallel to its own channel for the 450 Watts x 2 Channels @ 1 Ohm.  I am assuming that each voice coil will be "showing" each channel of the amp a 1 ohm load, so it is safe and effective.  Overall, as long as you show each channel an impedence that the amp is stable at, it is a good strategy?

I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
If your wire each subs voice coils in parallel to their own channel on the amp they will get identical signals since they share the same channel, so it is safe. But if you wire one voice coil of one sub to 1 channel and the other voice coil of the same sub to the other channel then each voice coil is on a different channel, and operating independent of one another which can cause damage.  
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
... and just to add something, yes EzekialPhoenix, you wire an impedence load that is safe for a given amplifier channel.  So if his amp is stable at 1 ohm per channel, loading it at 1 ohm per channel is the lowest you can go.  Remember that this is a LOW limit, by the way.  The amp will work just fine (indeed, it will run cooler) into 2 or 4 or 8 or 193 ohms as well, just with lower effective output power to the voice coil.
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I am asking these questions mainly to learn more about wiring subwoofers.  I recently bought two Kicker S12L7 dual 4 ohm subs and am frantically trying to find an amp to power them.  I wish I had known more when I bought them because those subs can run at 4 ohms or at 1 ohm.  It is very tough to find a mono class D amplifier that puts out a reasonable amount of power at 4 ohms, so that leaves me with running my subs at 1 ohm, which I am not crazy about for obvious reasons.  For efficiency purposes I do not want to run my subs off of a two-channel class AB amp, so I don't really know what else to do than find an amp that is 1 ohm stable, close my eyes and hope to the car audio gods that I bought a quality amp that really is 1 ohm stable. 
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
What is your budget?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
A true 1-ohm stable mono class D amplifier?  There are several, including my favorite the Planet Audio Apocolypse APD.  Also good is the JBL BPX series (NOT the BP series.)
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  
My budget for an amp is anywhere up to $450.00
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest you take a look at the Audiobahn A18001D  ( it will give you a clean 1800 watts @ 1 ohm ) http://www.audiobahninc.com/products/AMPS/amplifiers.html# , I used 2 of these when I had my Audiobahn setup, and they are some serious amps. They will do a nice job of pushing your L7's you can get the A18001DT from Just Audiobahn (who supports the 12volt.com) http://www.justaudiobahn.com for $499.00 shipped
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic