Stereo Setup Wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
EzekialPhoenix 
Copper - Posts: 83
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the suggestion.
I be tossin and flossin, my style is awesome. Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.
macka 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, so back to my questions...

bberman1-

so this will not work well (I guess this is how someone told him to wire it):

Stereo Setup Wiring? - Page 2 -- posted image.

so...should I just put the cap on the distro and then run the sub amp off of that?  Better yet, with what I have what is the best way to wire it, in your opinion.

and by the way, thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

Every Day I Do!!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

EzekialPhenix your welcome.

Maka no your diagram will not work, you need to put the cap in line with the power. So either wire it in on the power line coming in to the distribution block (the way I would do it). Or you can wire it on the line between the disro and the amp. (This will only benefit the amp that is line with) Here is a general diagram of how to hook up a cap http://www.audiobahninc.com/tech/additional/cap_wiring.pdf

macka 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

ok, I think (given my cars setup and the fact that I am about half way done already with the wiring) I am going to just put the cap inline with the sub amps.  Now my next question is If I have a ground distro block that i have grounded the 2 amps and xover to, should I follow the instructions with my cap (and your diagram) and ground it to the car seperate (wouldn't this create a grounding loop); or should/can I ground the cap to the distro block with the other 3 devices. 

Thanks again.

Every Day I Do!!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

Bberman dude, me thinks his wiring diagram will work just fine, current flows in both directions, not in and then out a different line. The only change I would make is to wire the cap to the other side of the distribution block (the second or third input) unless it is a fused distribution block, then he may want to take advatage of a fuse to protect the cap and the equipment should there be a short between the cap and somewhere else. This method also allows a better degree of safety when working on your system, disconnect the fuse at the battery and disconnect the fuse at the distribution, no more current! I have used this setup many times with all types of caps, they work for me no different than the method you describe. Missed most of this thread as I am on the West coast (Vancouver Island, B.C.) so usually I can respond a little later at night as compared to a full e-mail box in the morning. Tell me what you think about how I wired in a cap in this method.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

EzekialPhoenix I would also recommend the Planet Audio APD as well as the Orion 2500D and the Audiobarn, they are all really good big powerful amplifiers.

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden I understand that current flows both ways but for some reason my thinking is off. I always install the cap either before the distro or inline with the amp. I have never thought to install it on its own leg on the distro block, we learn something new every day
forbidden 
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
It got me the first time as well dude, glad to help.
macka 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  

You guys rock!

So what about the grounding loop thing.  If I wire the cap to the car but the 2 amps and the xover go to a distro block, is that a problem?

Every Day I Do!!
forbidden 
Posted: November 26, 2003 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

Yes it is a big one, on cold days your car won't start or go through green lights. It does not sound like a problem, a cap is not a sound device and (correct me if I'm wrong) should not have anything to do with a ground loop.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic