icon

Stereo Setup Wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
macka 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  

Cool thanks.  I only ask because someone said it would be an issue.SO, no green lights huh! Wow, do you think it will be able to stop at red lights though? Stereo Setup Wiring? - Page 3 -- posted image.

Every Day I Do!!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 9:36 AM / IP Logged  

IMO the cap will work fine as diagrammed and it should be grounded seperately and NOT go through a ground distru block.  Just make sure it is a good, solid, bare metal ground.  You will not set up an audible ground loop.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  
It makes no difference where the cap is grounded, in all installations that I have ever done with capacitors it has made no difference as to where it was grounded. Again have a look at www.lightningaudio.com and see the LL10db or LL4db cap distribution block. Do you think that a huge company like Rockford Corporation (the parent company of Lightning Audio) would make such a device knowing that it would create a ground loop situation? I think not. Am I 100% sure that it will not create a ground loop, yes until I have it happen to myself, and if and when it does I will pore over the entire install to find the cause of the problem and if it turns out to be the cap, then that's great, I know how to solve the problem.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
No, I didn't say using a distru block would create a ground loop.  That's stupid, don't put words into my mouth.  But I am one of those people who thinks power supply enhancers like capacitors are largely useless, actually, and that if you do use one it should be seperately grounded.  I also think a sub amp should be seperately grounded from the rest of the system because of the noise it can create in the system, but that's another topic( somethign called SQ) and is beyond the scope here.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  
Wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, sorry if it was taken that way. Caps work great for dedicated purposes, I'm curios and maybe want to learn your resonings as to why you believe that the cap should be grounded separately as well as the sub amp. I've been installing for 16 + years and this is a first for me. Yes I've obviousely dealt with noise issues before and have solved them in different ways, but there is no one right way for all problems. Have I ever noticed a difference in SQ by grounding a sub amp separately from the other amp's, no not ever. Have I ever grounded amps separately, yes I have. Nothing is beyond the scope here of what people want to learn, ideas can have merit for the people who want to try them and use them. I for one like this site because it gives me information and ideas to try on my next install or to troubleshoot a past install. I may not agree with all things posted up and maybe it is an opinion or is a decision based on fact. Either way new things happen in this industry every day and I for one will not turn a blind eye to what another has to say, I am willing to learn and try, this makes for an even better degree of excellence for my valued customers.Stereo Setup Wiring? - Page 3 -- posted image.
DYohn 
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

Noise generated in the ground connection of a sub amp can affect the power stability of other amps.  So the degredation of SQ is found in the mids/highs.  I've seen dramatic differences in some setups by moving the sub amps ground to it's own location.

Caps can produce instantaneous current surges that exceed the capability of many distru blocks, thus my suggestion that they be grounded seperately.

forbidden 
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
Bang on with the scenario about current surge dude, that is why I use the Lightning Audio cap block, it has no fuses in it and was designed exclusively to work with a cap and up to 4 amnplifiers. I will pull in some of my past installs to check the scenario that you are showing above. I have never ever heard of noise generated by a connection as you are talking about. Noise generated by a bad connection, yes, but noise generated by a good connection, no. Thanks for the info and again sorry if I set you off.
macka 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED!!!

Thanks to bberman1, forbidden and DYohn, you guys really helped me out a lot and I really appreciate it. 

Thanks to EsekialPhoenix for "trying" to steal my thread Stereo Setup Wiring? - Page 3 -- posted image. - BTW EP, I have 2 kicker S10L5 that I am pushing with an autotek xs900.2 and they bump (thanks to bberman1 telling me to hook them up using the 450watts X 2channels @ 1ohm)

So thanks again everyone, I managed to get everything installed (with your help).  Now I have to get the darn thing tuned correctly, starting with my xover then my mid/high amp and finally my sub amp

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON TUNING WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!

(but if you don't feel like it, I understand, you guys have already helped me sooooo much)

Thanks again

macka

Every Day I Do!!
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic