icon

air bubbles in fiberglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
alright guys anyone have any good ways to keep air bubbles out of the glass when you work...........i built an enclosure recently, but am pretty uspet with it cuz of so many air bubbles any ideas?
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  
You can use a fiberglass roller or by stippling (tapping) the bubble with the tip of your fiberglassing brush. You need to get all of the bubbles out of your project because they will be a lot weaker than the surrounding fiberglass.
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2003 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  

You need to get all of the bubbles out of your project because they will be a lot weaker than the surrounding fiberglass.thats why i asked what tips anyone had, i know what im doing i was just looking to see if anyone had anything special they did.so do you actually sell any of the items on your website for what you're asking???? cuz i notice they seem to be priced a lil high

pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
Click
They have some good rollers but when u get a really cheap brush for glassing cut off some of the bristles so its a little shorter. That will allow you to tap at the glass a little better and give you a more stiff brush. Whenever I glass i just use the brush and it works fine. Another good way to make sure you dont have any air bubbles is after you put the resin all on the fleece to bondo and sand it a little so you have a smoother surface to apply the mat.
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
muppetmaster 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Werd on RF's post.  I think SP has some really good products, and the fiber roller they sell works wonders...
iaudio 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2003 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

My prices are actually lower than my competition for the quality product that I offer.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

I also recomend cutting the bristles on the brush down.  I usually recomend to cut them to about a 1" length.

Although they are hard to find, they make a special roller called a "bubble buster".  The difference is that it has perpendicular cuts in it so instead of long ridges proceding the entire length of the roller, they are cut up into smaller ribs. 

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2003 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
One other recomendation.  I always apply a layer of resin down before putting down the mat.  This will allow it to soak up faster, keep the mat in place so it doesn't move around on you, and will prevent bubbles.
noob 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
aright thanks a lot guys that was the kind of stuff i needed to know

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic