icon

radio on until door open

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
Superchuckles, this is exactly what I needed.  I knew this would be simple, but you know how you get after working on something for a while and can't figure it out.  You da Man!  Thanks.
geepherder 
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
Wow.  I got a small assortment of caps to wire in- hooked it up, and the pop was still there.  After racking my brain some more, I found a bad (open) diode across one of the coils.  Problem solved.  Thanks for your help- the ideas got my gears turning again.
lil_joker2k2 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 03, 2004 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
I tried mine the way its in the site, ive never had any problems whatsoever with anything. No pop noises, nothing
LittleBill 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2004 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
what i don't understand, is why people use the 3rd one, i used the second and everything ran perfectly, don't really know y people use the 3rd one, if ur worried about backfeeding, just run like a 10 amp diode, inline on the accessory wire
geepherder 
Posted: January 06, 2004 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  

The third relay allows the radio to play while the key is on but the door is open- if you go to check something under the hood, once you open the door, the radio cuts out regardless of key position.  As for the 10 amp diode, that wouldn't work.  You want to prevent the cutoff voltage from reaching the radio.  If you forward bias it, voltage is still able to reach the radio, and you can't reverse bias it since the radio wouldn't have power.  Installing diodes across the coils will prevent this.  The cathode goes to positive (+) side of coil, anode to negative side (-).  Now when your equipment powers down, the EMF isn't searching for a relief path similar to your ignition coil.  The diodes provide this path.

superchuckles 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
actually, if you have the relays wired correctly, it wont shut power off to the radio when the key is on and door open using the two relay setup.  looking at the picture, the relay on the left, pin 86 is supposed to be tied to the ignition acc wire, 86 is also tied to 87.  when the ignition is on, reguardless of wether or not the left relay is in the energized or de-energized condition, the radio will recieve power when wired that way.  putting the diode in for isolation purposes (to prevent the acc wire from getting power from the relay) would work as littlebill said it would.  the only way it would work like you said (killing radio power when key on and door open) is if you didn't tie the left relays' pin 86 and pin 87 together.  i agree with littlebill - why add yet another relay to perform something that can be done with a solid state device that is much smaller.
geepherder 
Posted: January 10, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, that makes sense.  When I initially did this, I had the accessory lead from the ignition harness going to 86 on the first relay with a diode, rather than a jumper from 87 to 86 to create a latch.  Actually, a buddy at work dreamed this up in his head so I figured I'd give it a shot, that's when I stumbled across it on this site.
LittleBill 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2004 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
radio does not cut out with the door open and the key in accessory, since ur not cutting the accessory wire, i think its dumb to use relay 3, 2 works flawless for me
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic