icon

im lookin to dynamat

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

i just recently installed my 15 inch jl into my 94 boneville, it sounds awesome inside but when i step outside to marvel at my being... the car trunk shakes and rattles.  the inside sounds fine, and im thinkin about dynamatting the trunk. if i did so would the inside sound louder and more clear? what about the outside? would i be less noticeable, would it shake less? would it be louder outside the car?

What exactly would dynamat do?

thanks

94bonny 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
where is the best place to buy dynamat online? i just want a cheaper than retail store trunk kit! thanks
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

Peel n seal from home depo is cheaper...and prolly better.

Also Raamat and brown bread are inexpensive as well...way cheaper than dynamat...and prolly better. 

I would do about 2 layers for good layout.

I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, ive got about 900 watts running to 2 10's on a sealed box, it used to make my trunk rattle a bunch until i installed about 60 sqaure feet of dynamatt in my trunk... GREAT results.... the bass is crisper , more focused, absolulty no rattles in or outside the car at all! best of all i got my dynamatt online for 100 bucks for 100 square feet including the rollers and other tools and the cleaning solution.
everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
im lookin to dynamat -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:58 AM / IP Logged  
so do you guys just apply it to your trunk lid, so when you open the trunk you just have a layer of dynamat stuck to the trunk lid or do you do something to conceal it, cuz i dun know bout you guys but im the type that likes a clean install, despite any extra work required......so do you guys have clean installs or is it just there in plain view???? cuz my trunk rattles like cray and it pisses me off like crazy, plus i get discount from bestbuy
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

If you don’t want your trunk to rattle, then I would suggest that you strip the trunk down to bare metal and apply dynamat to everything and anything. I would also suggest that you use Brown Bread http://b-quiet.com/brownbread.html you won’t find a better product for the money, and peal and seal starts to peal off with time. 70 sq/ft should do the trunk. You will also find a lot of your rattles are coming from places you never imagined, I would save some Brown Bread and cover any problem areas you find after completing the job. Noob I too like clean installs, and I normally build a facade to hide the trunk lid. I have used everything from amp installs, TV’s, xovers raised designs, carpet etc on the lid. If you just want to hide it build a simple fiberglass shell for it and cover it in carpet or vinyl.

defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  

BTW, dynamatting the inside of your trunk will not stop rattles on the outside, the dynamat will stop the trunk interior panels from rattling but then the acoustic resonating looks for the next suceptable part to rattle, dynamatting the inside of your trunk may even make the outside of your car rattle more, unless of course you dampen the ouside body plastic. resonatintg sound take the path of least resistance.  Rarely will dynamat stop exterior rattles unless you seal the trunk completely (thus the sound can't escape to other panels.

Just some food for thought,  and i thought the dynamat training was a joke....laugh

mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
i beg the differ Defective..... i installed the dynamatt in my trunk and all outside rattles are gone, i don know much about " the acoustic resonating".... but my trunk doesnt rattle a all anymore, and it used to sound like aluminum cans banging togetherim lookin to dynamat -- posted image.
everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
im lookin to dynamat -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
PuppyDawg 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
I used brown bread as well and it's definately a very good product....but i'm going to have to disagree with the "eliminating" the rattles....I'm totally clean and professional with my work.....don't get me wrong though.....it reduced my outside rattles to almost nothing, considering my car being a 1986 300zx N/A is not bad either.......big improvement and sounds so much theater like on the inside with the dvd system.....go to ebay.com is your best best and put in brown bread.....comes with rollers and all....hope this helps.
*paw print*
cmosound 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
often times the rattles you hear outside the car are caused by the licence plate or bracket, tailights, bumper supports etc. after doing the inside of the trunk, seek out the exterior rattles and deal with them.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic