icon

dimples in fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hbk00 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
Got a question I think I allready know the answer to but I'm looking for anymore tips or "tricks" I may not know. I'm fiberglassing a center council and dash and I'm done sanding, baby butt smooth, now the problem I'm running into is after I've primed I can slightly notice little dimples here and there none that you can notice to the "touch" but if you looking at the right angle you can see them, and its probably somthing nobody would notice unless you've glassed before but I know they're there, now how do I get rid of them so its all even and perfect? Just more bondo and more sanding or what? Any help or comments is apreciated. Thanks
go custom or go home!!
noob 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
im pretty new to glassing, but yea id have to say more bondo untill its all perfect.....
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2003 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  
ive used both of these methods but you can either A. Put on gloves and apply bondo with your fingers to the dimples, the gloves allow you to push the bondo into the dimple. Also make sure all other dust is out of the dimple or the bondo hold will not be strong.
B. This is my fav. Take a syringe and fill it with resin and inject the resin into the hole. let dry then sand smooth. This one seems to work the best because with the bondo it is sometimes hard to get the bondo in a small dimple. you can get the syringe at kroger somtimes for turkeys and stuff hope that helps
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
kustomcarluvr 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, if it is like a little pinhole, I would fill it with bondo, just mix a very little bit and then you can spread it on with a razor blade, if you just leave it then it will be more noticeable when it is painted, and you did not go to all of that work to be displeased with it later.

Matt

hbk00 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
ok maybe I wasn't clear with my last question I asked how to take care of dimples in the fiber glass, not pin holes, dimples like on a golf ball, I want to know how to take care of this, just with bondo and a few more hrs of sanding? Its almost like I put the resin on uneven or something, or maybe I didn't sand all areas enough, allthough I thought about 18hrs on a dash would be sufficient but apparently not...help please
go custom or go home!!
pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2003 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
hbk00 wrote:
Got a question I think I allready know the answer to but I'm looking for anymore tips or "tricks" I may not know. I'm fiberglassing a center council and dash and I'm done sanding, baby butt smooth, now the problem I'm running into is after I've primed I can slightly notice little dimples here and there none that you can notice to the "touch" but if you looking at the right angle you can see them, and its probably somthing nobody would notice unless you've glassed before but I know they're there, now how do I get rid of them so its all even and perfect? Just more bondo and more sanding or what? Any help or comments is apreciated. Thanks
From what you said it didnt seem like they were golf ball size dimples. I usually take "little dimples" as small. But with golf ball size dimples i would start over, or you could go buy a gallon of bondo and not sand untill its all on.
kustomcarluvr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah, I expected smaller but the description was not to good. If you have divits in the dash, then I would still just bondo it, I would expect that they are not even the depth of half of a golf ball, so I would say just to bond the low spots and try to compromise with the edges (sand down everything else to get closer to the divit).

Matt

Tripnbeats 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
oh man!!!!, guys the kid said the dimples on the golf ball, not the golf ball itself.
kustomcarluvr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, that is bad, instead of being a description that wasn't very good, it was my reading skills , same deal though. Anyway you say it it will still be the same fix, bondo then sand.

Matt

pureRF 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
lol my b
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic