icon

JL W7 vs. Earthquake Magma

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Preimmortal 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2003 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

Check out this Hifonics amp! It has the usual low-pass filter 24dB/octave, a subsonic filter 24dB/octave, a remote bass boost, and it can take up to a 9 volt input! One of the reviewers compares it to his old Tsunami that was sucking the life out of his Electrical system and how all of his problems are over. It looks like a very effecient clean sounding amp and oh yeah it does 1500 watts RMS @ 1 ohm.  http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/HIFBX1500D

Wanna check out the rest from Hifonics? http://www.sounddomain.com/shoplist~b~HiFonics~t~Subwoofer+Mono+Amps

JL3GEclipse 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  
sorry to tell ya'll this but i have heard the brahma 12 and 10 and was not impressed at all.  Both were in boxes built to spec off the adire website.  The customer came to me because his 10 was not hitting very deep like claimed by the "Mobile Electronics" reviewer.  After full trouble shooting we determined no problems with the set-up or power.  Moving to the 12 (new box) improved the low end but still had muddiness that exceeded the expectations of me and the customer.  He went from this to a 10w7 and the difference was truely amazing.  Prior to hearing the Brahma I had always thought it was a good value sub but as my knowledge grows in this industry some things come to light...xmax means little and also choose what works for you (as long as you don't get it from the swap meet!)  Best advice, listen, shop around with your own ears, not ours.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

In that case I'd like to know a little more about the install.  Because you are the first person to ever describe the Brahma as muddy.  So what size enclosure were they in?  How were the gains set?  I have a great deal of familiarity with the Brahma's, and I know how they sound.  IMO the best SQL sub on the market is the W7.  But the Brahma is about half the price and 99.9% of the performance.  They utilize different techniques to gain their superior sound quality, but the end result is two subs that sound VERY similar. 

Now some people don't like the low distortion sound of the Brahma.  But usually they feel the same way about the W7.  You claim that the difference was huge, so I'm thinking that had to be install related.  They possibly had too large an enclosure, which worked fine for the W7 (the Brahma's enclosure is VERY small).  I'd suggest you take a listen again with a better install.  I have a feeling your experience will change.

BTW, what do you mean by Xmax means nothing?  It can greatly effect the SQ and LFE of the driver.  That's why some of the best SQ drivers, like the W7, have monster throws on them.

ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
preimortal; that amp looks pretty good, however i havent heard much as far as reliability is concerened. Do you or does anybody have any personal expierance with this paticular amp?
ricetech 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
Once again thanks for all the help and advice!!!!!!!
pureRF 
Silver - Posts: 619
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Kinda random but i would suggest the Eclipse aluminum or titanium
dream it, build it, fiberglass it
JL3GEclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

the box for the sub was built with the tech support from brahma for a 2000 IS300 slot ported through the center space as per their instructions. Gains on the amp were rough set by DMM and fine set by 50hz sine wave and occilliscope. Also, the sub played fine for most selections with simple bass lines but didn't handle the complicated stuff as well as I had heard it would in review.  Personally I think the reviewer at Mobile Electronics is on a ego trip with his "Torch Red 2001 Corvette" and "Crown Macro Tech 5000VZ amp" I mean his reviews are pretty lously if you actually take time to look (as I have gone back and done). Just my $.02 on him.

as far as xmax, (i didn't say nothing) I mean there are quite a few no name brand subs and some on brand subs claiming better SQ and SPL than W7 or Titaniums highlighting powerhandling and xmax.  The MTX 9500 ad comes to mind.  Just saying, don't throw all your decision on one number. You know that a linear bl curve is also a very important SQ factor.

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2003 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
JL3GEclipse wrote:

the box for the sub was built with the tech support from brahma for a 2000 IS300 slot ported through the center space as per their instructions. Gains on the amp were rough set by DMM and fine set by 50hz sine wave and occilliscope. Also, the sub played fine for most selections with simple bass lines but didn't handle the complicated stuff as well as I had heard it would in review. 

Wow!  I will never question you again about gain setting.  You obviously know how to do it.  Good job!

People's opinions greatly differ in how things sound.  Many people prefer their music to be what I call surreal.  Some people will like one thing, and not like another.  It isn't bad, that's just how it is.  But from an objective SQ standpoint, both the W7 and Brahma are the best because they will produce less distortion than other subs using a more standard motor topology.  It is just a function of the motor.  It is up to the user to decide if they like the distortion.  I still find it odd that you liked the W7, but didn't like the Brahma.  I can only guess that it was due to differing alignments.

JL3GEclipse wrote:
as far as xmax, (i didn't say nothing) I mean there are quite a few no name brand subs and some on brand subs claiming better SQ and SPL than W7 or Titaniums highlighting powerhandling and xmax.  The MTX 9500 ad comes to mind.  Just saying, don't throw all your decision on one number. You know that a linear bl curve is also a very important SQ factor.

Ah, I must have misunderstood you.  In that case I totally agree with you. 

JL3GEclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  

Yea, most people just do it half ass by ear to set gains.  I don't see the point of spending several grand on a stereo only to I got the best technical training from JL, 8 hour class and they talked about their product may 30-45mins.  Mostly just ohms law, accoustic theory, wiring, ac and dc basics, sound (frequency, harmonics, SPL) and finally they wrapped up by connecting every thing to their products...it was the most fun I think I ever had learning!

Just looked at your ride, nice idea for bass upfront!  Get that thing painted, and Sony Mobile ES, nice, I don't know why they went away from that for Xplode.

JL3GEclipse 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2003 at 2:08 AM / IP Logged  

Yea, most people just do it half ass by ear to set gains.  I don't see the point of spending several grand on a stereo only to have clipped signal from setting the gains wrong.  I got this from the best technical training from JL, 8 hour class and they talked about their product may 30-45mins.  Mostly just ohms law, accoustic theory, wiring, ac and dc basics, sound (frequency, harmonics, SPL) and finally they wrapped up by connecting every thing to their products...it was the most fun I think I ever had learning!

Just looked at your ride, nice idea for bass upfront!  Get that thing painted, and Sony Mobile ES, nice, I don't know why they went away from that for Xplode.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic