icon

How Good Are Audiobahn Products?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
well, then wh ynot buy alpine, there stuff sounds better than JL, just wait till the new alpine type x subs come out, that will blow jl away
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

If their subs follows the Type x components then they wont be much better then the Type R components (for $50 more you get better looks and a little better performance which still isnt anywhere close to the W7). Besides all they are doing right now is hyping up the Type X sub that encorporates the same technology as half of all the other subs out their and re-names it. I'm not buying it.

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds to me like we have quite a bit of backing up to do here.....JL AUDIO vs. AUDIOBAHN vs. ALPINE.....Sounds like a good competition if you aske me?   Who's ready for an all out SPL and SQ brawl????!!!!

In terms of Audiobahn, Audiobahn's products seem to have quite a range on them.  Their subwoofers, like the Flame Q's for example, offer an endless array of possiblities.   They have a very broad range of box volumes, as seen on websites like crutchfield.  But, when you go to Audiobahn's website, under the technical section, there're PFD downloads of the woofer charts.  The reason they offer such broad ranges is to take into account what YOU want your subs to do.  The bigger box volume is for Pro SPL, wheras the lower box volume rating is for SQ.  Then you have hte choice of ported or sealed...or bandpass.  
Basically, as I said before, Audiobahn is great.  They have good prices, good styling, good QUALITY, and good performance, tailored to your needs, and able to change as your needs change without having to invest in new speakers....  BUT be warned....Audiobahn woofers tend to need SPECIFIC enclosure sizes.  You probably won't get off with a Q-Logic or other pre-fabbed box.  The reason people are probably complaining about the crappy sound of Audiobahn and stuff along that lines is the fact that they didn't have their systems set up properly.  You can't just pop your Flame Q into a Q-Logic as you would a W7.  They require enclosures specific to the speaker and your desires to get the affect YOU want to hear.  Also, they require more power.  If you're trying to power your Flame Q with a Sony 1000w MAX amp, you're not going to get the sound you want.  you need to be at least withing 70% of the reccommended RMS range of the sub for the reliablity and quality you want.  Anything less than their RMS reccomendations isn't very healthy for the subwoofer, causing pre-mature blow-outs. 
SO:  The bottom line is this:  Spend a few dollars and/or a few hours to build a custom box for your Audiobahn Sub (A carpeted MDF ported box will run around $70 if you build it, or more if you have it done professionally (i.e. Tweeter, or other private REPUTABLE car audio stores)) and power it with at least 70% of the juice it likes in its diet, and you'll have a real performer that sounds AWESOME TO YOU and that lasts a good long time!

~wayland
97neon 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
some body agrees with me, man, don;t even compare jl to alpine in sound quality, sure they got there w7, but, wait for the type x, i bet it will detstroy, sure it doesn;t cost 1000 bucks like the w7, but like i said, jl is over priced,
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

There is an old saying, "the proof is in the pudding." JL has proven themselves to be one of, if not the best automotive subwoofer manufacturer in the world. You want what they have, sure, you're gonna have to spend the money. But you know what you are getting when you lay the money down - no question about it. Other manufacturers...who knows?

Something else to think about (along the lines of what customsuburb said): look how long it takes for JL Audio to put out a new subwoofer model/design. That's because they (and select others) are the ones who are pioneering all of the newest technologies, using the best parts and construction techniques. The other companies come out with similar products months later (after they've renamed/rebranded the patented ideas that JL came out with first, and using cheaper parts and construction). Think about it.

Anyway, like SOME of us have said previously, Audiobahns will generally do what you you want them to do for a cheaper price. If you like the sound and can live with them without feeling put down any time somone says they suck, then that's all that really matters.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
ksin291 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
97neon

To say that JL products are over rated is ridiculous, JL has the reputation that they do because they have earned it. Their products far exceed anything produced by Audiobahn in both build and sound quality, if all you are after is SPL regardless of SQ then fine, more power to you, use Audiobohn or any other brand that floats your boat. Just do not put down a proven performer like JL, it makes you sound like you don't know what the hell you're talking about. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against audiobahn, they make decently priced products for the mass market and that's great, that's their niche. JL does not aim for that market and their prices and products reflect that. As always you get what you pay for.

ryken_design 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  

I have been using numerous audiobahn products. I find that the new bottom of the barrel is not the greatest sub for your money. There amps are not really anything special, not again for the money. I still personally run audiobahns in my truck. If you are the type of guy that whats to buy really high end gear take a good look at their subs. Their new immortal line up are pretty wild, the efficency rating is 97db that really high for any sub. Oh by the way I have never melted an audiobahn sub, I have had one stink like it's about to go but its alright. Finally if you want another brand that you would like to check out I have also used a lot of mephis gear, awsome stuff, kind of ugly though.

Goodluck

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  

OK who ever thinks that audiobahn makes great products must be someone who works on commision at best buy to pay off their nintendo. I dont care what you say about audiobahn products ,they are crap. If you think JL overprices their products at least they have a good reason ; QUALITY. Now if you're talkin about Audiobahn then they just overprice their middle of the line and up prodcuts because of the looks and features. And like ive said alpine is just hyping up their sub. Just cause it sounds good on paper dosnt mean it will blow away the W7. In fact Alpine seems to like to hype up their products lately. Look at their CDA-9821 CDA-9823 and CDA-9825  . All they did was change the looks and amplifier power rating. Big difference in performance ,DONT THINK SO.

ryken_design 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  

Customsurburb

I must say that i do not hate JL by no means actually I am pretty fond of their gear. The w7 are something else. I had a ten in a tline box that I built and it was amazing. But common you really aren't going to audiobahn to the best buy level with sony, alpine, poineer and all that crap that kids buy because these companies spend millions in advertising in all of the leading magazines. I understand your dislike in audiobahn and you feel it is overpriced but check out Rockford Fosgates TRF2215 spl sub you wanna talk overpriced, what a peice of crap. After i seen a price on ebay for 1100 $us new in box I check their web page curious to what was so special. Go figure that they do not release any Theile Parameters on web page, thats when you know your dealing with pure crap!!

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

Rockford makes pretty good products also but I havnt really noticed any overpricing on them except for their subs and they are pretty good. About Audiobahn ,I agree with Ksin291 that if you want something just for spl then go with audiobahn. This is all some younger people want a sub to do is play loud(dosnt have to sound good these are the kind of people who want it just loud ,it dosnt have to play loud but still sound good) and how it looks. These are the things Audiobahn provides. And if anyone thinks I hate Alpine I dont. I just think they overhype their products and their V12 amps are a little bit overpriced also.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic